Talk about a surprise. While both offensive tackle positions are set for 2020, the staff is looking ahead to who may replace either of the potential NFL tackles with the addition of massive Louisiana Tech OT Willie Allen through the transfer portal.
Allen looks like a make-a-player on a video game. At his massive size, he’s a good athlete that played two-ways on the football field and starred for the basketball team while in high school. An imposing force that excels in the run game but has needed to work on pass blocking. Not much tape or progress reports on him throughout his college career but with that size and Ed Warinner’s teachings, his ceiling is sky high for his Michigan career.
Allen was a Michigan recruiting target and one-time top 100 recruit in the 2016 class but ended up committing to and enrolling at LSU. Before making an impact for the Tigers, he looked to transfer in 2018 but was reportedly blocked by LSU to transfer to TCU. After making a JUCO stop, he ended up transferring to nearby Louisiana Tech.
The former four-star recruit was set to start for LaTech in 2020 but decided to enter the transfer portal on October 12th. And just three days later, announced his commitment to Michigan. Simple as that.
- Height: 6’7”
- Weight: 340lbs
- Hometown (School): New Orleans, LA (John Curtis; Louisiana Tech)
- 2016 Rankings: Rivals (3*, #37 OT) – 247Sports (4*, #32 OT) – ESPN (4*, #16 overall)
- 2016 Composite Ranking: Four-star, #183 Overall, #17 OT, #11 in Louisiana
Photo Credit: 247Sports
- Harbaugh Values Youth, Recruiting in 2021 Coaching Staff Overhaul - Jan 25, 2021
- 2020-21 Michigan Basketball vs Wisconsin - Jan 12, 2021
- 2020-21 Minnesota vs Michigan Basketball: Highlights - Jan 6, 2021