Check out a full breakdown, highlights and recruiting rankings of Michigan basketball’s 2018 commitments:
1. PG: David DeJulius, 6’0” 180lbs. Detroit, MI (East English Village Prep)
DeJulius is a pure scoring point guard. Though a little undersized at the moment, he shows great range from behind the arc and toughness when taking the ball to the rack. His sharp shooting ability and natural ability should mix with his natural body growth to push him up the player rankings as the recruiting cycle goes on.
- Commitment Date: 12/22/16
- Rankings: Scout (3*, #23 PG) – Rivals (3*, #129 overall) – 247 (3*, #179 overall) – ESPN (4*, #83 overall)
- Composite Ranking: Three star, #279 overall, #53 PG, #10 in Michigan
2. F: Brandon Johns, 6’8” 215lbs. Lansing, MI (East Lansing)
Johns is a perfect fit for Michigan. His length, size and shooting ability makes him everything you’d dream up for in John Beilein’s offense. Though he’s not the most athletic player in the country, he has the ability to get to the rim and finish, on top of being able to shoot the rock from all over the court. He should make an immediate impact in Ann Arbor.
- Commitment Date: 6/29/17
- Rankings:Scout (4*, #100 overall) – Rivals (4*, #43 overall) – 247 (4*, #51 overall) – ESPN (4*, #40 overall)
- Composite Ranking: Four star, #54 overall, #18 PF, #1 in Michigan
3. F: Ignas Brazdeikis, 6’8” 215lbs. Ontario, Canada (Orangeville Prep)
Brazdeikis is a big time get for John Beilein as, like most of his gets, the four star swing is a perfect fit in the Michigan offense. He’s a big, athletic shooter than can score from all over the court. His athleticism and handles allows him to make plays off the dribble while his size and length allows him to score at the basketball. Add in his left handed stroke from the perimeter and he’s a guy that should put up very nice numbers in the maize and blue.
- Commitment Date: 9/22/17
- Rankings: Scout (4*, #42 overall) – Rivals (4*) – 247 (4*, #45 overall) – ESPN (N/A)
- Composite Ranking: Four star, #91 overall, #22 SF, #1 in Ontario
4. SG: Adrien Nunez, 6’5” 175lbs. Brooklyn, NY (St. Thomas More)
Throughout Nunez’s highlight tapes, I see another Beilein player that is a play making, fan favorite, veteran-type guard that everyone will think has been at the school forever (similar to Spike Albrecht, Stu Douglas and Muhammad Ali Abdur-Rahkman). He’s an athletic, hard working player that looks to only be scratching the surface of his potential. One aspect of his game that has to have Beilein excited is his shooting ability, especially as a spot three point sharp shooter. With time to learn and grow for the first year or two in Ann Arbor, he should be ready to fully contribute by his sophomore or junior season.
- Commitment Date: 10/2/17
- Rankings: Scout (NR) – Rivals (3*) – 247 (3*, #287 overall)
- Composite Ranking: Three star, #268 overall, #62 SG, #2 in New York
5. F/C: Colin Castleton, 6’10” 215lbs. Daytona Beach, FL (Father Lopez Catholic)
Though he may be one of the slimmer top100 players in the class, Castleton is a problem inside the three point arc. His unreal arm span, shot blocking ability and technical skills down on the block makes him a dominant force, at times. He needs to put on some size and strength to truly compete and contribute at the collegiate level. But once/if he does, look out because he could be a really nice post player for the staff, who’s had trouble finding consistent scoring in the paint and shot blockers.
- Commitment Date: 10/4/17
- Rankings: Scout (4*, #70 overall) – Rivals (4*, #120 overall) – 247 (3*, #139 overall)
- Composite Ranking: Four star, #117 overall, #30 PF, #13 in Florida
Photo Credit: Bryan Fuller/MGoBlog