The coaching staff has their newest commit in WR Ahmir Mitchell and is likely to miss on a former “sure thing” in TE Naseir Upshur. The latter has become a familiar feeling for Michigan fans as of late after missing out on the likes of DaShawn Hand and Khalid Kareem. But unlike Hand, the Wolverines may have a shot to flipping at least one of the just missed 2016 targets.
Back on the Market?
Rumors have been running wild for the past week or so about the possibility of Harrison (MI) DE Khalid Kareem flipping to the Wolverines. Well, it looks like those rumors may be true as The Michigan Insider’s Sam Webb and Scout’s Allen Trieu are hearing good things about Michigan’s chances thanks to the proximity to home ($).
With limited spots available but a need on the defensive line, it makes sense that the staff would go after Kareem again to try and fill one of the (likely) 2-3 spots left. If they can land him, that would be a big time flip for the class as it would mean another top in-state target playing in Ann Arbor.
As for another name that is another potential flip candidate, Lakeland (FL) DT Keyshon Camp is committed to USC but has been interested in Michigan for awhile now and, according to his interview with Wolverine247’s Steve Lorenz, the Wolverines are in good shape heading into the official visits ($):
I’m going to Michigan on September 18th. I’m going to see my boy Reuben (Jones) out there. He’s hoping to start at rush end. I want to see how Coach Mattison coaches. Michigan has been pushing the hardest I’d probably say. They’re running second.”
While it may be a bit of a long shot to flip him, especially with Rashan Gary and Chris Daniels still on board, Camp is a name to watch closely during his official visit for the UNLV game along with OLB Caleb Kelly. If the staff makes him a top target, a flip looks possible.
“Very High on Michigan”
While Michigan already has two physical, athletic wide receiver commitments, they may be on their way to a 3rd as Detroit King (MI) WR Donnie Corley is trending towards the Wolverines.
In and interview with The Wolverine’s Brandon Brown, Corley’s father is “very high on Michigan” ($) but needs to see something very important from the new staff first:
I think Michigan is a great fit [for Donnie] but we just don’t know how they’ll use the wide receivers,”
Though Harbaugh’s known for running the ball in a power O, he’s also let it be known how important the passing game is for the offense. And with former top in-state receiver Drake Harris starting to find his form, I believe both Corley’s will see what they need to see out of the Michigan this fall.
If that does happen, look out. The Wolverines have been quickly rising up the board and could steal him away from the Spartans if the momentum continues.
Don’t Forget About Us
Most Michigan fans have their eyes on the more polarizing names on the board, there are a couple 2016 recruits that have kept their recruiting pretty quiet to not forget:
- LB Jonathan Jones
- Jones spoke with Wolverine247’s Steve Lorenz and let it be know that the Wolverines still lead for his services ($), adding “Michigan is a train that’s about to take off with their new staff and it’s one that I wouldn’t mind jumping on.
- After he held off on committing this summer, his spot in the class looks to be up in the air. Not because the staff is down on him at all but because of the limited spots available and amount of top linebacker targets still on the board.
- OG JohnCarlo Valentin
- Valentin spoke with Rivals’ Adam Friedman about the top schools on his board and mentioned the Wolverines and his recent visit, saying “Michigan was great” and added that, the coaches “really want” him ($).
- Though I don’t have high hopes at the moment, it looks like the staff could land him if they want to bring in another pure guard and make him a top priority. At the moment, Terrance Davis and Jean Delance look to be their top two offensive line targets.
- ATH Mecole Hardman
- Hardman spoke with Rivals’ Woody Wommack and was talking about how interested he is in the Wolverines and, of course, a lot of it had to do with Coach Harbaugh’s arrival ($).
- The Elbert Country (GA) two way star is a name that is an often forgotten target on the board but could become a top target after he makes it to campus this fall for his official visit.
- Along with Long Beach Poly (CA) ATH Jack Jones, the staff is going after the top athletes in the class and has caught the eye of both Hardman and Jones. Make sure to keep an eye on both of them this fall during their official visits.
McCaffrey Plans to Visit this Fall
The 2017 Michigan recruiting only has one commitment at the moment but don’t let that get your hopes for the class down. The staff has done a fantastic job at selling the program and building relationships with the top players in the class without even playing a game yet. And that includes their top quarterback target.
In an interview with The Wolverine’s Tim Sullivan, Valor (CO) QB Dylan McCaffrey talked about his high interest in the Wolverines, the possibility of playing for Jim Harbaugh, his decision timeline and how he “definitely” has to visit Michigan this fall ($).
With most of the top junior quarterbacks making early pledges, Michigan will likely ramp up the pressure on McCaffrey when he makes it to campus again. They look to be the early favorites with Notre Dame and Stanford (who has yet to offer) close behind. If he sticks with making his decision after his junior year, Michigan could have their 2017 quarterback on board nice and early.
2017 Quick Hitters
- American Heritage (FL) OT Kai-Leon Herbert told Scout’s Corey Bender that, though Florida is his leader at the moment, he “definitely” has to see Michigan this fall ($).
- According to Rivals’ Adam Gorney, Roseville (CA) TE Jimmy Jaggers was “absolutely blown away” by the Big House during his first visit to Michigan this summer and will make a return visit for the UNLV game this fall ($).
- St. Mary’s (MI) WR KJ Hamler let Rivals’ Josh Helmholdt know that Michigan and MSU are “standing out” and that he’s planning on visiting Ann Arbor for the home opener vs Oregon State ($).
2016 DL Rashad Weaver
— Steve Lorenz (@TremendousUM) August 28, 2015
— Sleeper Athletes (@SleeperAthletes) August 28, 2015
- Happy 10 Year Anniversary, Me - May 25, 2021
- New Michigan Man: DT Jordan Whittley Transfers to Michigan - May 21, 2021
- Coming to Crisler: G Devante Jones Transfers to Michigan - May 1, 2021