Harbaugh has put together a nice recruiting class so far in 2016. However, it is missing something that is already drastically needed on the current roster: playmakers. And now the 2nd wide receiver spot is now filled as Cedar Creek (NJ) WR Ahmir Mitchell has committed to Michigan.
Mitchell is one of the best athletes in the entire class and should be a great fit at wide receiver. While he’s still raw, he has that height, weight, speed combination everyone wants in a receiver. If he continues to develop, he could be a very good player in the Maize and Blue, even if he spent time at safety.
As for his recruitment, he is a name that most Michigan recruiting fans know well as he was offered back in the Hoke era (as a safety) and was actually pretty high on the Wolverines. I even included him in my Best Guess Recruiting Class from last September. However, he went from a possible addition to a likely one once Harbaugh and the new staff made him a priority. Add in his New Jersey friends being future college teammates and Michigan now has their newest wide receiver.
- Height: 6’3”
- Weight: 205lbs
- Notable Offers: Alabama, Florida State, Ohio State, Notre Dame, etc.
- Rankings: Scout (4* #130 overall) – Rivals(4* #102 overall) – 247(4* #90 overall) – ESPN (4* #216 overall) – MGoFish (4*)
As for the Rest of the Class: Mitchell is the 22nd commitment in the class, 2nd wide receiver and the 3rd player from New Jersey. With his addition, the staff has another player recruiter to help reel in the top remaining east coast targets in 2016, including DT Rashan Gary. As for the wide receiver position, Keyshawn Young looks to be the most likely left on the board while Donnie Corley is starting to climb back into the picture. If the staff is willing to only take 1 tight end, 4 receivers is possible.
- Coming to Crisler: G Devante Jones Transfers to Michigan - May 1, 2021
- New Michigan Man: WR Tyler Morris Commits to Michigan - Apr 20, 2021
- Michigan Takes Care of Texas Southern, Moves onto 2nd Round - Mar 20, 2021