While the Michigan football program has put on some impressive recruiting runs in their history, this June recruiting frenzy has been one of the longest and most consistent of all time. In the first 21 days of the month, they have picked up 11 commitments and the run is far from over.
Here are the targets that could be Wolverine commits by the end of the month (in order of most likely to commit):
- DE/OLB Jhonathon Williams (June 22nd)
- The former Notre Dame defensive end visited over the weekend and, according to 247Sports’ Ben Fidelman, the staff is looking for an answer quickly and Williams will likely make it on Monday ($). And with him only visiting Ann Arbor, if a decision is made, he’ll be a Wolverine.
- UPDATE: According to The Wolverine ($), Williams needs to clear some hurdles first before making a final decision.
- LB Jonathan Jones (June 22nd)
- Jones is wrapping up his 5 day visit on Monday and, like most, I believe a decision could come before he leaves Ann Arbor, if not very soon after.
- UPDATE: It looks like Jones will be holding on off on making an announcement for a little bit but Michigan is in fantastic shape after the visit.
- DE Khalid Kareem (June 24th)
- Kareem is a former Michigan State commit that looks likely to switch sides and don the Maize and Blue when he decides on Thursday, especially after the wave of 247Sports’ crystal ball predictions. However, I don’t believe it’s a 100% a slam dunk with him taking multiple visits down south earlier in the month and MSU still hanging around.
- DE Ron Johnson (June 24th)
- According TheMichiganInsider’s Sam Webb, Michigan will host a several east coast visitors starting June 24th ($). And while Johnson is the most likely of the group to pull the trigger, there’s a chance it may not happen because the staff may pump the brakes a bit on his decision, according to The Wolverine’s Brandon Brown. However, if he’s ready to give his pledge on the trip, it’s hard for me to believe the staff would not accept it.
- TE Naseir Upshur (June 24th)
- Upshur is the top tight end on the board and, at the look of things, Michigan is starting to pull away in his recruitment. With one tight end spot already taken and the Philly star making his first trip to Ann Arbor under the new coaching staff, I believe there’s a chance he at least silently commits.
- WR Ahmir Mitchell (June 24th)
- The Jersey star is one of the premier athletes in the class and after looking like a lock to end up being a rival of Michigan down in Columbus, all signs are pointing towards the Maize and Blue for Mitchell. He’ll be on campus with the east coast crew starting Thursday and I wouldn’t rule out him pulling the trigger to guarantee his spot in the class.
- LB Devin Bush Jr
- While a decision or another visit are on the June schedule, there’s a possibility that he decides to join his teammates in Michigan’s 2016 recruiting class.
Michigan will be hosting several other 2016 and 2017 targets, including DT Rashan Gary and OC Cesar Ruiz, this month. However I don’t believe we will be on #CommitWatch for any of those targets.
The June commitment avalanche is not over yet. I believe there will be at least 3 new additions to the program by July 1st. So, make sure to sign up now for the MGoFish newsletter (on the side bar) to make sure you won’t miss a single New Michigan Man post.
- Inside the Fish Bowl is Turning Lemons into Lemonade - Nov 23, 2020
- 2020 Michigan vs Rutgers: Takeaways and Highlights - Nov 22, 2020
- 2020 Michigan vs Rutgers: Four Things to Watch - Nov 20, 2020