The 2015 BBQ at the Big House is, arguably, the biggest recruiting event of the year for Michigan and from the look of the visitors list, things could get very interesting. Honestly, the most likely names to drop are two guys who may not be takes at the moment thanks to higher possibilities on the board so it’ll be interesting to see what happens.
Though a couple big names have dropped out in TE Naseir Upshur and DT Rashan Gary, there a plenty of names that could get that itch and commit while on campus, including the top two/three 2017 linebacker targets:
Possibilities (in order of most likely)
2016 OG JohnCarlo Valentin
– Valentin is the most likely to drop (IMO) but will be an interesting name to watch. Would the staff hold off on accepting it with Terrance Davis, Landon Dickerson and Jean Delance still very much in play? If he wants to pull the trigger on the trip, I don’t imagine the staff turning him down and for good reason. Valentin is one of the best guards in the class and would be a great bridge into Philly.
2016 WR Ahmir Mitchell
– Most, including myself, believed he could pull the trigger last weekend during his visit. However, he held off and it looks like OSU may have made him think twice about his decision. Does that mean he won’t end up in the class? I believe he’s still the best bet to take the next wide receiver spot and this visit could very well seal the deal (though it may not happen during the trip).
2016 CB Sir Patrick Scott
– Scott is the name to watch very closely. He’s the MOST likely to commit during the trip but with the latest news on CB Lavert Hill possibly flipping from Penn State, it will be interesting to see if the staff accepts a commitment from him. I believe he’s very high up the board but with Michigan possibly leading for both Hill and Lamar Jackson, the staff could have a hard decision to make on Sunday.
2017 LB Drew Singleton*
– Getting into the 2017 class, there are plenty of options to pull the trigger while on campus but I believe Singleton is the best bet (if he’s able to make it into town). He has visited Ann Arbor back in June and has been rumored to be higher on Michigan than maybe any other target in the class. If he gets that itch, I believe there’s a very good chance he’s a Wolverine.
2017 OLB Corey Malone-Hatcher
– If Singleton is the most likely 2017 target to drop, Malone-Hatcher is 1b. According to Wolverine247’s Steve Lorenz, CMH is looking to pull the trigger “sooner rather than later” ($) and a big time visit to the favorite could be the perfect time to make that decision. The only reason he’s 1b for 2017 is because he could wait to make an announcement. Either way, I love Michigan’s chances here.
2017 LB Josh Ross
– Could Michigan land their three 2017 linebackers on the same day? It looks like a real possibility. Ross is another top candidate to commit to the Wolverines while at the BBQ. As the younger brother of senior Michigan LB James Ross, UofM has been the favorite since day one. Being around all of the coaches and other in-state “Pipeline 9” could give him that itch to finally join the class.
2017 OT Ja’Raymond Hall
– While Hall is not nearly as good of a possibility to join the class during this trip as the linebacker, he’s still a good candidate. Michigan is clearly his leader early on and with the staff heavily targeting the in-state crew to all join the class, he could take on responsibility as one of the leaders of the class with commit TE Carter Dunaway.
2016 CB Lavert Hill
– There have been rumors of Michigan becoming a real player again for Hill for awhile now but things have really ramped up lately. Though it’s unlikely he flips while at the BBQ, this visit could be a game changer in his recruitment.
2016 OLB Carlo Kemp
– Kemp is my “shot in the dark” guess for the list but he is not a name to sleep on. According to Wolverine247’s Steve Lorenz, this could become a Michigan v. Notre Dame battle ($) and with ties to the Wolverine coaching staff, along with being at a position of need, I wouldn’t be completely shocked if he committed. And no, I don’t think this would affect the staff’s pursuit of Caleb Kelly.
- 2017 RB/ATH Allen Stritzinger
- 2017 C Cesar Ruiz (if he makes it)
- 2017 DL Corey Bolds (if he makes it)
- 2017 RB Kurt Taylor
- Happy 10 Year Anniversary, Me - May 25, 2021
- New Michigan Man: DT Jordan Whittley Transfers to Michigan - May 21, 2021
- Coming to Crisler: G Devante Jones Transfers to Michigan - May 1, 2021