The Opening is a training camp/competition for most of the elite high school football prospects in the entire nation. This event will be held in Oregon (the birthplace of Nike) and features the top players from the 12 National Nike high school football training camps, and will also feature other top prospects from all over the nation.
The event started today (July 5th) and goes until Friday July 8th. At the end of the camp Nike will crown winners for the Nike 7on7 tournament, Nike Linemen Challenge and SPARQ Rating National Champions.
So why is this a big deal for Michigan recruiting, lets just say a couple targets and commitments will be in attendence………5 recruits and 11 targets, not including 3-4 players they turned away because of lack of grades or scholarships.
|Michigan commit: 4* James Ross|
- 4* Terry Richardson, CB, Cass Tech HS : An elite, lock down corner who lacks size but makes up for it with amazing play making ability.
- 4* James Ross, LB, St. Mary\’s HS : One of the top prospects in Michigan and Linebackers in the nation. Will be a legit play maker for the Wolverine defense.
- 4* Mario Ojemudia, RDE/OLB, Harrison HS : A perfect fit for a rush linebacker in a 3-4 defense or a rush defensive end in a 4-3.
- 4* Erik Magnuson, OT, La Costa Canyon HS : The big o-lineman that Michigan is used to having. Could take some time to develop but should be a good one.
- 3* Anthony Standifer, CB, Crete Monee HS : Could really make his case for a 4th star this week.
|Michigan Target: 5* Brionte Dunn, RB|
- 4* Nelson Agholor, S, Berkeley Prep HS : A play maker that plays both safety and wide receiver in high school and could play it at the next level. Not a good chance he goes Blue.
- 4* Ron Thompson, TE, Southfield HS : Has been a Michigan lean for a long time, could be apart of this class if he wants to be the third TE.
- 4* Zach Banner, OT, Lakes HS : A big big guy (6\’8\’\’ 300+ lbs), and a legit, top player in the nation. Best part is he might be a package deal with 4* OL Joshua Garnett (They kinda look like twins).
- 4* Adam Bisnowaty, OT, Fox Chapel HS : Another O-lineman that Michigan is very high on. Could be a project offensive tackle, but could really develop.
- 4* Sheldon Day, DT, Warren Central HS : Michigan has really cooled down on him, Day will be a force in college, but looks like not at Michigan at this moment.
- 5* Brionte Dunn, RB, Glen Oak HS : STILL a O$U commit, but seems to just be waiting to de-commit when he finds out how bad the sanctions will be. Could be the next great RB.
- 4* Danny O\’Brien, DT, Powers Catholic HS : Has always been seen as one of the top players in Michigan, and could be a great get for the Wolverines at a much needed position.
- 5* Aziz Shittu, DT, Buhach HS : After some Michigan love on twitter, he is legitimately tied to going Blue. He decommitted from Stanford, so you know he\’s smart and looks for academics.
- 5* Jordan Simmons, OG, Crespi Carmelite HS : A huge man, that could be a All-American with the right coaching. Michigan would be a great place for him to develop, but very doubtful.
- 4* Dwayne Stanford, WR, Taft HS : Big, Plaxico Burress-esk WR that could be a HUGE get for Michigan, especially because of his teammate and his talent.
- 5* Aldophus Washington, DE, Taft HS : Freakish athlete that could be the top prospect in Ohio. Could be a impact player right away.
|Michigan Target: 5* Aziz Shittu, DT|
- 4* CB/S Wayne Morgan – Michigan stopped recruiting him after the CB spots were filled
- 4* CB Armani Reeves – Had Michigan and PSU in his top 2, but after the last CB spot was filled, that changed.
- 4* DE Se\’Von Pittman – Now committed to MSU, but was rumored to have been turned down by Michigan because of grades.
- 4* DE Ifeadi Odenigbo – Another player who was turned down by Michigan recently because of the lack of spots at the DE position.
That\’s a lot of players of Michigan commits/targets, which shows how great this recruiting class will be and how amazing it could be with a bunch of the targets.