The new coaching staff continues to prove its worth and this time, it was new
WR S Coach Ron Bellamy. The former West Bloomfield head coach was a big factor in why Michigan was able to land the top receiver in the state with the commitment of 2022 East Detroit (MI) WR Tay’Shawn Trent.
If you like big, outside receivers that can go up and get the ball, you’ll really like Trent’s tape. At 6’4” 200+lbs, he uses his size and length to dominate at the high school level. Good athleticism, straight line speed, got a little wiggle to allow him to beat defenders. Needs to tighten up some of the technical side of things including his route running but with his frame, athleticism, and hands, he’s a guy that the coaches have to be thrilled to get onto campus and develop into a go-to receiver.
Trent has been a name that looked like he could very well end up in Ann Arbor since he popped up onto the recruiting trail during his sophomore season. However, when Michigan was going through its struggles in 2020, Michigan State looked to have the momentum for a moment.
That all completely changed once Michigan hired Ron Bellamy and he made Trent a priority from the start. Mixed with Josh Gattis’ longtime recruitment, connections with fellow recruits and players, the opportunities in Ann Arbor, and his familiarity with the program were too much to pass up for the four-star receiver.
- Height: 6’4”
- Weight: 205lbs
- Hometown (School): Eastpointe, MI (East Detroit)
- Notable Offers: Michigan State, Penn State, Indiana, Cincinnati
- Rankings: Rivals (4*, #33 WR) – 247Sports (3*, #63 WR) – ESPN (4*, #206 overall)
- Composite Ranking: Four-star, #281 Overall, #40 WR, #7 in Michigan
As for the Rest of the Class
Trent is the 7th overall commitment, the 1st wide receiver, and the 3rd in-state commit of the class. 2022 should see three maybe even four receivers (if it’s the right guys) with WR Kaleb Brown, WR Tyler Morris and WR Darrius Clemons being the names to watch closest. Other names include WR Jaden Mangham and WR Barion Brown.
Photo Credit: Patrick Barron/MGoBlog
- Happy 10 Year Anniversary, Me - May 25, 2021
- New Michigan Man: DT Jordan Whittley Transfers to Michigan - May 21, 2021
- Coming to Crisler: G Devante Jones Transfers to Michigan - May 1, 2021