This is the other half of the new defensive coaching staff’s double dip into Tennessee for the 2022 class. Right after getting the announcement from DB Kody Jones, Michigan welcomed another four-star to the class as East Robertson (TN) S Taylor Groves announced his commitment.
Listed as a receiver by most sites, Groves is actually being targeted to play safety for Michigan and when you watch his tape you can see why. While he could be a legit receiver prospect, he has star potential on defense. His mix of length and athleticism should make him a game-changer in the secondary in a similar mold to Notre Dame S Kyle Hamilton. He’ll need to add more size and strength to truly make an impact but the frame and natural talent are there. Love this pickup for Michigan.
Even more so than Jones, this was a super hyper speed recruitment for Co-DC/DB coach Maurice Linguist and company. Michigan offered Groves on January 27th, moved him towards the top of their board, and received his public commitment just over a week later.
- Height: 6’2”
- Weight: 175lbs
- Hometown (School): Cross Plains, TN (East Robertson)
- Notable Offers: Tennessee, LSU, Notre Dame, Penn State, Texas A&M
- Rankings: Rivals (4*, #41 WR) – 247Sports (4*, #188 overall) – ESPN (NR)
- Composite Ranking: Four-star, #242 Overall, #16 S, #6 in Tennessee
As for the Rest of the Class
Groves is the second get for the new defensive staff, the sixth overall in 2022, the first safety, and the second get out of Tennessee. This class should be defensive back heavy and the safety position could be a special one. S Sherrod Covil, S Keon Sabb, ATH Larry Turner-Gooden, ATH Dillon Tatum and S Myles Rowser are names to watch.
Photo Credit: 247Sports/East Robertson
- Coming to Crisler: G Devante Jones Transfers to Michigan - May 1, 2021
- New Michigan Man: WR Tyler Morris Commits to Michigan - Apr 20, 2021
- Michigan Takes Care of Texas Southern, Moves onto 2nd Round - Mar 20, 2021