Defensive tackle recruiting has been questionable to say the least over the last couple of classes for Jim Harbaugh’s staff. So, it’s no surprise they’re picking up the slack in the 2022 class and have already added the 2nd interior lineman to the haul as River Rouge (MI) DT Davonte Miles has committed to Michigan.
Miles is a big, physical defensive lineman that plays at end in high school but has frame and makeup to move inside and easily play at 300+ lbs. He plays with good leverage and strength as he finds himself in the backfield throughout each game. Not the greatest athlete in the world but more than good enough. Has a good motor as he chases down quarterbacks and ball carriers. Still pretty raw with his technique and hands but should come with time and more coaching. May not be an immediate impact guy but has the physical build and natural talent to develop into a productive interior lineman for the Wolverines.
- Height: 6’5”
- Weight: 275lbs
- Hometown (School): River Rouge, MI (River Rouge)
- Notable Offers: Iowa State, Kentucky, Michigan State, Minnesota, Syracuse
- Rankings: Rivals (3*) – 247Sports (3*, #45 DT) – ESPN (N/A)
- Composite Ranking: Three-star, #671 Overall, #48 DT, #23 in Michigan
As for the Rest of the Class
Miles is the 4th overall commit in the 2022 class, the 2nd defensive tackle, and the 2nd in-state get. Michigan clearly needs defensive tackle help in this class and even with Miles and Alex VanSumeren committed expect the staff to pursue more interior help. Names to watch include Anthony Lucas, Caden Curry, Deone Walker and KJ Miles.
Another position to watch closely is cornerback where Michigan is in great shape to add the two best in the class in Domani Jackson and Will Johnson. The dynamic duo have made it well known they’d like to play together in college and Michigan may have the most momentum to pull it off. Michigan is also in great shape with CB Jaeden Gould.
- Michigan Takes Care of Texas Southern, Moves onto 2nd Round - Mar 20, 2021
- Michigan Receives Expected #1 Seed in 2021 NCAA Tournament - Mar 14, 2021
- New Michigan Man: WR Tay’shawn Trent Commits to Michigan - Mar 3, 2021