While the Michigan coaching staff is mainly focused on the 2018 class, they’re also keeping up with the top players in the 2019 class. And it’s clearly paying off early on as the Wolverines are already in fantastic shape for some of the staff’s top targets. That includes the nation’s top ranked quarterback, one of the most electric play makers in the nation and two of Florida’s best defensive standouts.
Elite QBs Coming to Camp
Though Jedd Fisch is gone, Michigan will continue to host its very popular Aerial Assault summer quarterback camp and this summer’s will be one to watch. And two of 2019’s top quarterbacks, Mater Dei (CA) QB JT Daniels and St. Prius X (TX) QB Grant Gunnell, are planning on being in attendance.
Daniels spoke with Wolverine247’s Steve Lorenz about his interest in Michigan and his plans to camp in Ann Arbor this summer ($):
Nothing’s been set yet, but I am looking at attending their quarterbacks camp this summer,” Daniels said of the annual A4 “Aerial Assault” camp the staff has held the last two seasons. “That’s been the date we’ve been considering right now.”
Mater Dei is one of the toughest schools for out-of-state programs to steal top talent from, but Michigan looks to have a real chance here. Daniels raved to Lorenz about both Harbaugh and Pep Hamilton’s achievements. Add in the willingness to come across the country for a chance to work with the two in-person and UM clearly has, at the very least, more than a puncher’s chance to land the top quarterback in the 2019 class.
But that’s not the only early target on the board that’s going to be in town for the camp.
Gunnell is the #3 ranked QB on 247Sports and, according to his interview with TMI’s Sam Webb, is thinking about making the trip up from Houston to throw live in front of the Michigan coaches ($):
They love my film and want me to get up on campus so I can talk with all the coaches,” he said. “I’m probably going to look into it during the summer. Maybe go to a camp to throw also.”
The big Texan is more in the form of Ryan Mallett and Wilton Speight than Daniels, who reminds me more of Eli Manning (I’m talking #1 overall pick Eli, not 2016 Eli). At the moment, Michigan looks to have a much better shot at Daniels, even though he’ll be the, at least, one of the most wanted quarterbacks in the class.
And though his dad ended up taking a job at Oregon instead of Michigan, don’t completely count out the Wolverines here for King’s Academy (CA) QB Michael Johnson Jr. His father, Michael Johnson Sr., is close with Harbaugh and knows what he could do for his quarterback career.
My CB is on Oregon for now. But with the amount of coaching changes that happen every year, who knows where it’ll be on National Signing Day 2019, which is just under two years.
Leading Early On
Michigan has yet to land a commitment in 2019 but the first player to drop could be coming sooner rather than later. And there’s already a decent sized list of solid candidates.
Check out the early list of prospects who have named Michigan their leader:
- Trinity (KY) DE Stephen Herron Jr. visited Michigan on February 13th and landed an in-person offer from the staff. He spoke with Scout’s Allen Trieu right after his visit and had rave reviews about Jim Harbaugh and Michigan’s academics ($). Those rave reviews obviously much more than lip service too as Wolverine247’s Steve Lorenz is hearing that Michigan is now leading for Herron after the visit, mainly thanks to Greg Mattison ($).
- St. Thomas Aquinas (FL) LB Anthony Solomon visited Michigan on February 18th and, like Herron, left Ann Arbor with the Wolverines at the top of his list. And he recently re-confirmed that to 247Sports’ Ryan Bartow ($). Solomon spoke with TMI’s Sam Webb about his visit and, also like Herron, raved about the visit, mentioning his connection with Devin Bush Sr. and Don Brown ($). This looks like it’ll be a Michigan-Clemson fight, with UM standing out at the moment.
- Deefield Beach (FL) OLB/DE Ge’mon Eaford was offered by UM back in January of 2016 and has been a favorite of his ever since. He’s consistently shown love to Michigan on Twitter and has named the Wolverines the leader in the past. And they’re still the leader, per 247Sports’ Ryan Bartow ($).
- Trinity (MO) ATH Isaiah Williams is one of the most electric players in the class and Michigan’s made him a top target early on. Thanks to that push from the staff, it looks like the Wolverines are the early favorite here. According to 247Sports’ Steve Wiltfong’s sources, Michigan is in such a good position, the national analyst has put in his Crystal Ball for Williams to the Wolverines ($).
- Dorsey (CA) RB Charles Mincy Jr. received his offer from Michigan back in September and has clearly liked what the staff is selling as he also told 247Sports’ Ryan Bartow that Michigan is his leader ($).
- Then there’s the three offensive lineman that aren’t far from Ann Arbor and look like three early favorites to be a part of this class, Archbishop Hoban (OH) OL Nolan Rumler, East Kentwood (MI) OT Logan Brown and Belleville (MI) OT Devontae Dobbs. All three are five stars on 247Sports and look to have the Wolverines out front in their early recruitments, with Rumler the far and away favorite to end up at UM.
It’s still very early for the 2019 recruiting cycle but Michigan has a very good jump on the class, with every name list above being very interested in the Wolverines and all top 100 level recruits. Add in the state of Michigan looking like it’ll have a very strong class and Harbaugh could be in store for one of his best classes.
Who do you think Michigan will eventually land out of their top 2019 targets? Let us know in the comment section below!
Photo Credit: OCsidelines.com