The backyard brother brawl is set to go down tomorrow at noon in the Big House and the Michigan staff is expecting a big crowd. Not only from the fanbase but also from it’s recruiting targets, some of which are the top names on the 2020 and 2021 board.
Check out which Michigan recruits are expected to be in attendance for the 2019 Michigan-Michigan State matchup:
- 2020 WR Roman Wilson
- The fastest player in Michigan’s electric 2020 class will make the long trip from Hawaii to the mainland, en route to Detroit. This will be his second trip to Ann Arbor after visiting back in June, just ahead of his commitment. But this time, the weather will be much different. He’ll get his first taste of his cool future in the maize and blue this weekend.
- 2020 TE Theo Johnson
- Probably the most important visitor of the weekend, Johnson is another top overall target and would be a great way to wrap up the tight end recruiting in 2020. Michigan looks to be playing catchup a bit to Penn State heading into the visit but thanks to this trip and the four-star tight end postponing his commitment announcement, it’ll give the Wolverines a chance to make up the ground before the Early Signing Period.
- 2020 DE Braiden McGregor
- McGregor will make his way to Ann Arbor this weekend, per TMI’s Steve Lorenz ($). Following a season-ending knee injury, it’ll be good for the in-state recruiting gem to get a firsthand look at the hatred between the Wolverines and Spartans. It’s also good to have him recruiting Theo Johnson and others in person.
- 2020 RB Blake Corum
- Corum is another solid commitment and leader of this class that will be a big help in the recruitment of some of the staff’s top targets on campus. Always good for him to get a taste of a rivalry game as well.
- 2020 OT James Pogorelc
- Per 247Sports Brian Dohn, Pogorelc is a name to watch. Michigan is looking to add 1-2 more offensive tackles in this class and the Virginia native looks to be #3 on the big board just behind Myles Hinton and Andrew Gentry.
- 2021 DE Rodney McGraw
- If there is a player to watch for a potential commitment, it would be McGraw. Michigan has been on him hard for months now and he looks to be heavily favoring the Wolverines. We’ll see if this weekend is enough to push it over the line.
- 2021 OL/DT Rocco Spindler
- Another “Not if but when” top 2021 targets, Spindler has become a regular visitor to Ann Arbor since the summer. He’s been leaning heavily towards the Wolverines. Wouldn’t surprise me at all to see him drop sooner rather than later.
- 2021 OL Garrett Dellinger
- After looking like a Notre Dame lean, it looks like things are swaying back towards Michigan here for Dellinger. It’ll be interesting to see just how hard the Wolverines push here. Definitely a recruitment to pay attention to going forward.
- 2021 OT Tommy Brockermeyer
- From The Wolverine’s EJ Holland in September ($), the #3 overall player (and his brother) are planning on visiting Ann Arbor for the second time this year for the MSU matchup. It hasn’t been confirmed but if this trip does take place, that’ll be big for Michigan’s chances with the talented Brockermeyer duo out of Texas.
- 2021 C James Brockermeyer
- See above.
- 2021 DT James Gillespie
- The four-star defensive tackle will make the trip to Ann Arbor from Virginia with his 2023 teammate (listed below). This will be his first trip to campus, which could be big as Michigan is looking to beef up the interior of the defensive line in this 2021 class. Potentially pairing Gillespie and top DT target Tywone Malone would be big.
- 2021 S Jaylen Johnson
- Though he’s a Crystal Ball favorite to stay in-state and play for the Buckeyes, Michigan will have its early shot at the three-star safety this weekend, per TMI’s Brice Marich ($).
- 2022 OLB Tag Bonnema
- In-state future target that will be a name to remember. He has a ways to go physically but he flashes the instincts and natural talent to be a legit target in the 2022 class.
- 2023 DE/TE Evan Safreed
- Teammates with 2021 DT James Gillespie, Safreed will be one of the youngest recruiting visitors in attendance.
This list is expected to grow. I wouldn’t be surprised at all to see a large group of in-state recruits make the way to Ann Arbor for this one so the staff can show the differences between the two in-state powers.
Stay tuned to the site and make sure to follow MGoFish on Twitter to get the latest recruiting news and football updates.
- New Michigan Man: OT Tristan Bounds Commits to Michigan - Jun 1, 2020
- New Michigan Man: DE Kechaun Bennett Commits to Michigan - May 28, 2020
- New Michigan Man: LB Jaydon Hood Commits to Michigan - May 25, 2020