Michigan’s new look coaching staff with LB coach Brian Jean-Mary and S coach Bob Shoop will get its first recruiting visit quickly and it’s a pretty big one, all things considered. The Wolverines are expected to host a big time group of top 2021 in-state targets and a couple of top 2022 targets.
Check out who is expected to make it to town this weekend:
- 2021 QB JJ Mccarthy
- The leader and face of Michigan’s 2021 class and one of the top overall quarterback prospects in the nation. He’ll have his recruiting hat on all weekend and will be a big reason why Michigan puts together a top-flight class.
- 2021 OT Giovanni El-Hadi
- Don’t forget about El-Hadi. He’s an elite offensive tackle prospect that is proving himself and his top 100 ranking every chance he gets. Another big recruiter, he’ll be trying to reel in his fellow in-state offensive lineman to form their own “Mount Michigan”.
- 2021 OG/DT Rocco Spindler
- Spindler has been a priority target from the start and it’s clearly been a big reason why the Wolverines have had so much momentum in this race. Notre Dame and Ohio State are big threats but all signs continue to point to Michigan. He’s an elite recruit so no matter when he makes his decision, this will be a fight until the end.
- 2021 OL Garrett Dellinger
- Best name in this class and teammate of Rocco Spindler, Dellinger is another top target on the board that looks to have the Wolverines on top with Notre Dame not far behind. Ed Warinner has been pushing for the four-star Clarkston duo. We’ll see if he can pull it off.
- 2021 LB Jamari Buddin
- Buddin is one of my favorite in-state prospects and a prospect I think is just starting to “bud”. Ok, I’ll see my way out. But keep an eye on the four-star Belleville ‘backer. Michigan looks to be in fantastic position for one of their top linebacker targets in a class that should only see two, maybe three at most.
- 2021 OT Caleb Tiernan
- Michigan got in on Tiernan early on and it’s clearly paying off as the Wolverines have looked to be sitting at the top of his list for months now. As long as he remains at the top of Warinner’s board, I like his chances to be a part of this class.
- 2021 OT Rayshaun Benny
- Benny is a four-star in-state prospect that is just starting to really gain some steam on the recruiting trail following a breakout junior season at Oak Park. He’s been open about his love for Michigan so it’ll be interesting to see if a push from the staff could result in some significant movement.
- 2021 OT Caleb Banks
- Yet another in-state offensive line target that the staff will host this weekend. Banks is out of Southfield AT&T and is another two-way prospect that is gaining traction on the trail.
- 2021 DT Damon Payne
- The #1 ranked player in the state and someone that had seemingly wrote Michigan off completely early on. But the staff is clearly holding on hope and continuing to fight. Getting him on campus with a group of visitors like this is big. We’ll see if Brian Jean-Mary can work some magic and help get the Wolverines firmly back in the game.
- 2021 RB Donovan Edwards
- According to The Wolverine’s EJ Holland, Edwards will “probably” be visiting this weekend as well ($). If so, that’s huge as he is the top name on the board, not just for Michigan, but for the nation’s top programs including Alabama and Ohio State. This is going to be a downright fight until the ink is dry on his Letter of Intent.
- 2022 WR Tyler Morris
- Teammates of JJ McCarthy and a top 50 prospect in the 2022 class, Morris will likely be one of the top targets for the staff in the next class. Having his quarterback and friend on board is big enough, getting him on campus early with a top visitors list helps even more. This should help solidify Michigan on his list.
- 2022 RB Nicholas Singleton
- Another 2022 target to keep an eye on, Singleton put up big numbers as a sophomore (1,690 yards and 32 touchdowns) and looks to be an early top target for Jay Harbaugh. Doesn’t hurt to get him on campus while he blows up on the recruiting trail.
This could be a huge weekend for Michigan. The 2021 class looks like it’s ready to take off and I could see this weekend being a launching point. I wouldn’t be surprised to see some big movement with several of the visitors, especially the in-state offensive lineman.
Plenty of the names on the visitor’s list will be on my first 2021 Best Guess Recruiting List that will be coming out in a couple of weeks.
- Happy 10 Year Anniversary, Me - May 25, 2021
- New Michigan Man: DT Jordan Whittley Transfers to Michigan - May 21, 2021
- Coming to Crisler: G Devante Jones Transfers to Michigan - May 1, 2021