With the summer here and camp season in full swing, the recruiting front is starting to pick up for Michigan in a big way. The staff is set to host one of its biggest on-campus camps in a long time and one of the top visitor lists of the year. Some of the visitors expected include multiple five-star targets, current commitments, and several top targets that I’ve included in my latest recruiting class prediction.
Check out which notable top 2019 and 2020 recruiting targets will be visiting Ann Arbor over the next week:
- ATH Quavaris Crouch
- Multiple outlets have been reporting Crouch’s return visit to Ann Arbor, which will happen Friday, June 15th. According to TMI’s Steve Lorenz, this is yet another self-paid unofficial visit to campus for the five-star athlete, and Michigan is still firmly in this race ($). Most analysts believe he’ll end up staying down south to play his college ball and while I agree that’s the more likely situation, Michigan has a chance to win him over again during this trip. He’s consistently said that Michigan has been his best visit and the only downside with the Wolverines is the weather up north. But it’s supposed to be sunny and in the 80’s during his trip. It may not be enough to sell him on the weather but it definitely won’t hurt.
- DE Zach Harrison
- Expected to officially visit on Thursday, June 21st, Harrison is easily one of the biggest names and people that will be visiting Michigan this month. The five-star is the “must-get” recruit for Urban Meyer and the Buckeyes, and though all signs still point to OSU landing their guy, Michigan and Penn State are giving him something to think about. This trip is big for any sliver of hope that the Wolverines have in this race as the staff will get the full trip to show off the University and defensive system can do for his future.
- CB DJ Turner II
- Easily one of the best bets to be the next commitment to the 2019 class, Turner is a long-time top target that has every Crystal Ball pointing towards the Wolverines. He’ll make his official visit to Ann Arbor on the 22nd and is expected to make his decision soon after. As long as something crazy doesn’t happen during the trip, that decision should be in favor of Michigan.
- OT Trevor Keegan
- There may not be a target that is needed in this class much more than Keegan. The top offensive tackle on the board and top target for the staff for a long time now. Though I didn’t have him part of my last BGRC, my Crystal Ball has remained on Michigan since June 2017 and it’s starting to look better and better. According to TMI’s Brice Marich, Keegan is expected to be in town on an unofficial visit on the 22nd ($). With the staff pushing hard for a pure tackle and this battle coming down to Michigan-Ohio State, this is easily one of the most important visits of the weekend.
- VLB Joey Velasquez
- The Ohio State baseball commit is expected to camp at Michigan on the 18th.19th and is definitely a name to watch during his time on campus. This will be his first time back to campus since receiving his offer from the staff after his trip to town in late April. And thanks to the relationship built with Al Washington and the fit at Viper in Don Brown’s defense, Michigan looks to be the team to beat here.
- DT Rodas Johnson
- Johnson is teammates with Velasquez and is also expected to camp at Michigan early next week. He’s a guy I added to my latest BGRC after 247Sports’ Steve Wiltfong put in his Crystal Ball to Michigan for Johnson after the four-star defensive tackle set up his camp visit. If things go as planned, there’s a chance Michigan jumps to the top of his list and he becomes one of the best bets to join the class.
- DT Mazi Smith
- Speaking of four-star defensive tackles, Smith is the top name on the board for Michigan and a player I’ve had my Crystal Ball in on for quite some time. Though he’s related to former Michigan State star, RB TJ Duckett, it’s been the Wolverines that have been the team to beat in his recruitment. He’s another guy I’ll be watching closely during his official visit on June 22nd.
- DE/OLB Aeneas DiCosmo
- Another top target on the board, DiCosmo is an uber-athletic rush end that could play multiple positions in Don Brown’s defense. But will Brown get the chance to utilize him? Michigan was the heavy heavy favorite after his mid-March visit to Ann Arbor. That momentum hasn’t kept up though as Stanford has taken over the Crystal Ball lead thanks to their offer to the versatile pass rusher. That is why this visit is so big. If the staff pushes for him during his official visit to campus, they just may be able to get the momentum back just ahead of his expected announcement in July.
- S Lewis Cine
- Whataya know, another longtime top target officially visiting Michigan. Cine has been a member of my BGRC for awhile now even though he’s never visited Ann Arbor before. Being from Massachusettes, the Don Brown factor is huge here. And even though he moved to Texas, it looks like that fondness for the Michigan defensive coordinator hasn’t gone away. Penn State looks to still be the biggest threat here but with a huge need at the position and the Don Brown factor, I believe Michigan can sway the momentum during this trip.
- RB Eric Gray
- Gray’s visit was first reported by 247Sports’ Steve Wiltfong ($) and he now quickly becomes a name to watch very closely during his official visit to campus on the 22nd. A former member of my BGRC, Gray is a dynamic running back that could be one of the better gets at the position of the Harbaugh era. Though he fell off the radar a bit over the spring, this official visit is a good sign for a class looking for a standout back.
- S/WR Quinten Johnson
- UPDATE: According to 247Sports’ Steve Wiltfong, Johnson will be officially visiting Michigan this weekend ($). He was included in my latest class prediction and Wiltfong put his Crystal Ball in for the two-way standout to Michigan ahead of the visit. It looks like this is a trip to watch closely as the staff is in need of multiple safeties in this class and Johnson would be a very nice get.
Other top targets that are expected on campus for camp or an unofficial/official visit:
- 2019 DL Chris Hinton – Commit
- 2019 OL Karsen Barnhart – Commit
- 2019 OG Nolan Rumler – Commit
- 2019 DE David Ojabo
- 2019 TE Erick All
- 2019 ATH Wandale Robinson
- 2019 RB Kyren Williams
- 2019 OT Bryce Benhart
- 2020 OT Myles Hinton
- 2020 DE Bryce Mostella
- 2020 ATH Michael Drennen II
- 2020 QB Parker McQuarrie
Which recruits do you think will drop this weekend for Michigan? Who will Michigan become a favorite to land? Let us know in the comment section below!
Photo Credit: Jeff Siner/Charlotte Observer
- New Michigan Man: LB Jaydon Hood Commits to Michigan - May 25, 2020
- New Michigan Man: LB Junior Colson Commits to Michigan - May 24, 2020
- Coming to Crisler: Wake Forest G Chaundee Brown Transfers to Michigan - May 19, 2020