While the biggest show tomorrow night is on the court between the Wolverines and Spartan basketball squads but the athletes Harbaugh and the football coaching staff will be worrying about will be in the stands. The staff will be hosting several top in-state targets for 2016 as well as the top player in the state for 2017, including:
2016 DE Khalid Kareem
– Kareem is one of the hottest names on the recruiting trail after landing offers from Michigan, Notre Dame and Alabama over the last month. That month also included a commitment and quick decommitment from Michigan State after thinking it over and realizing he needed more time to weight his options. With a good visit, the Wolverines could make a real push towards the top of his list.
2016 WR Donnie Corley
– Corley is the top receiver in the state but because of a rough 2014 season and coaching change, he left Michigan out of his top 5 schools. However, Harbaugh and Wheatley have made him a top priority and he knows it. Wheatley visited him twice quickly after the dead period and if they keep building up the relationship, there\’s a good chance they could jump into his top teams.
2016 DT/OG Michael Onwenu
– Onwenu is one of the best players in the state and one of the best big men in the country. He was being recruited as a nose tackle by Hoke but he\’s listed on most recruiting sites as an offensive guard. It\’s not clear what he\’s being recruited as by Harbaugh but they could use help at both positions. Like the other visitors, Michigan dropped on his list after the past season but has a very good chance to make up ground with a great visit.
2016 S Demetric Vance
– Vance is one of the more underrated players in the Midwest and is the only 2016 visitor that has yet to land an offer from Michigan. However, I feel like an offer could be on the docket. He is a physical, hard hitting safety that fits the defense\’s style and with Harbaugh looking to open up that Cass Tech pipeline again, Michigan would have a very good chance after an offer.
2016 WR Desmond Fitzpatrick
– UPDATE: According to The Wolverine\’s Tim Sullivan ($), Fitzpatrick (the Louisville commit) will make his way to Ann Arbor for the game as well. While he has yet to see an offer from the Wolverines, he\’s a prime candidate to land an offer with a big summer/senior season. If an offer comes through, Michigan should have a very good chance here.
2016 LB David Reese
– UPDATE: Reese is another new name to the list thanks to Tim Sullivan. He is a fast rising middle linebacker that holds several offers but is waiting for one from the Wolverines. His stout, tough nosed style fits the defense\’s style which is why he\’s a dark horse to land an offer sooner or later.
2016 OT Michael Jordan
– UPDATE: Another name listed by Tim Sullivan is possibly the #1 offensive tackle on the board for Michigan. Jordan is a four star talent out of Plymouth high school in Canton (MI) and looks to be very high on the Wolverines. Building up the relationship on visits like these will go a long way in landing a commitment from one of the top players in the state.
2016 RB Matt Falcon
– Another UPDATE: Falcon tweeted out that he will be visiting Michigan for the MSU game as well, which is pretty big news. He\’s the top running back in the state and one of the best players in the Midwest. For some reason, Michigan never offered him under Hoke but I feel like that could change during his first visit to Ann Arbor under the Harbaugh regime. And if that offer comes, they\’ll likely jump into his top group with Ohio State, Tennessee and Michigan State.
2017 WR Donovan Peoples-Jones
– DPS is the top player in the state for 2017 and the #12 overall player in the country, according to 247Sports. His size, athleticism and big play ability makes him a \”can\’t miss\” in-state prospect for Harbaugh. While some believe he\’s leaning elsewhere, it looks like Michigan has a very good chance at getting back into this race, in a big way, with an offer.