The biggest visit of the season may have lost a little luster thanks to a two-game losing streak but that doesn’t mean this isn’t a huge recruiting weekend. Though football staff’s aren’t allowed to host visitors, a large list of Michigan’s top commitments and targets in both the 2021 and 2022 class are getting together to tour the campus, watch the game and get a feel for Ann Arbor.
As for the top targets, there are some big timers expected on campus:
- 2021 CB Ceyair Wright
- According to 247Sports’ Greg Biggins, the top100 cornerback will be visiting Michigan for the first time this weekend ($). The Space Jam 2 star has been Crystal Ball’d to USC but Stanford is another team to watch. If he leaves the west coast, Michigan and Notre Dame check the boxes. This visit could help him get a better feel for that potential move.
- 2022 CB Domani Jackson
- According to Biggins and several others, Jackson will be making the trip across the country as well ($). And this is the biggest one to watch. The five-star made plenty of noise on social media by adding the Ohio State tag into his profile and sending out some attention-grabbing messages. But is that all it was? He continues to rave about Michigan and his lifelong affinity for the maize and blue. He told Biggins recently that “Out of all the schools recruiting me, I think Michigan fits me the best,” ($). This visit is huge for both parties. Ohio State and USC may still be the Crystal Ball favorites but a successful visit could really move the needle.
- 2022 CB William Johnson
- The other five-star junior cornerback making his way to town won’t be taking a flight but just traveling 50-mile drive to Ann Arbor from Gross Pointe. Johnson will make his way to town for the game and to hang out with the other recruits, according to 247Sports’ Steve Wiltfong ($). As the son of a former Michigan player and an in-state recruit, the Wolverines are clearly a top team but he was also in on the Ohio State social media fun and the Buckeyes are a definite favorite. He has 8 other top teams but this looks like it may come down to the rivals for the elite prospect.
- 2022 DB Isaac Thompson
- According to Allen Trieu, Thompson will be making his way to Michigan for the Wisconsin game ($). Thompson is a Michigan State legacy but Michigan along with Texas may be the teams to watch closest in this race. This is a big visit for a much needed defensive back recruit.
- 2022 LB Sebastian Cheeks
- According to TMI’s Steve Lorenz, the four-star linebacker was setting up a visit to Michigan ($). Michigan looked to be in good shape here early on but things may be moving another way following some recent Crystal Ball predictions to Notre Dame.
- Update: per Brice Marich, Cheeks will not be making it to campus for the game ($).
- 2022 WR Tyler Morris
- Another top100 recruit, Morris is reportedly making his way to campus as well, per TMI’s Brice Marich ($). Out of every name on the list, he may be the guy that is the closest to dropping for Michigan (well, him or the next name). Not saying that’ll happen this weekend but he’s a guy the Wolverines have been in great shape with for a while now.
- 2022 OLB Josh Burnham
- According to Steve Lorenz, the four-star in-stater is expected to visit this weekend as well ($). Burnham is a do-everything athlete for Traverse City Central and looks to be one of Michigan’s top defensive targets in this class. All the Crystal Balls are on the Wolverines. This visit should only help.
Another name to watch is top100 2022 WR Kaleb Brown, who the staff has reportedly been working on to get on campus for this weekend ($).
This is a huge weekend for the program. Michigan needs a win on the field not only to restore a little faith but it needs one to really make this makeshift recruiting weekend visit a success.
Photo Credit: Logan Newman / USA TODAY High School Sports
- Happy 10 Year Anniversary, Me - May 25, 2021
- New Michigan Man: DT Jordan Whittley Transfers to Michigan - May 21, 2021
- Coming to Crisler: G Devante Jones Transfers to Michigan - May 1, 2021