In the first edition of the Just Call me Karl Malone Mailbag, I received multiple questions and comments via Twitter and email. While David Arnold and I answered a couple of them on The MGoFish Show, here are the rest from this week:
— jimgoblue (@singlwtwins) August 17, 2015
- The only people who have any real insider information, or at least information that I trust, is The Michigan Insider’s Sam Webb, TheWolverine.com crew and Wolverine247’s Steve Lorenz. However, even with their sources, there hasn’t been a ton of info to come out just yet. But that should change with today’s Big Ten Network coverage and this weekend’s student only night practice.
— shawn sullivan (@ssullie71) August 18, 2015
- I have not heard or read anything about Michigan’s interest in Benton just yet but I’m sure the staff will give him a look (#32 overall via 247Sports). But if they don’t believe they can pull him away from Alabama or Auburn, they may not even extend an offer.
Just some rumors floating around fall practice that Isaac is separating himself from the pack. Would like to know if this is true. Also am interested in learning if our receiver’s coach is satisfied with the progress of his charges. They seemed to have such a difficult time last season in gaining separation from the DBs. We need both of these offensive aspects to experience a significant growth in order for us to at least present a challenge when we have possession of the ball.
- There are different reports out there surrounding the running backs. The Wolverine’s Michael Spath was hearing that Isaac was starting to make a move while others are hearing that DeVeon Smith has been the top guy so far.
- As for the wide receivers, it’s unknown what Coach Fisch is thinking at the moment but after speaking with his high school coach, freshmen Grant Perry has really played well in camp and is a perfect Harbaugh guy (toughness, hardwork). Other names that have been reported to having a solid camp are Drake Harris and Amara Darboh. If I had to guess at this time, there will be plenty of receivers to see the field this season until a couple separate themselves.
My observation is the success for this year will depend on the playmakers on each squad. Once you get beyond the rhetoric, excitement, etc. the difference will be those athletes that are capable of making a difference.
- Couldn’t agree more. It’ll be interesting to see who are those playmakers on offense though. Isaac, Smith, Green, Darboh, Cole and even Peppers have a shot at being game changers there.
- There is a chance Michigan misses on both Gary and Daniels but I still believe they will land Gary, especially if they have a good year on the field and a dominant defense (like expected). However, if they miss on both, a name to keep an eye on is Darius Whitfield. He doesn’t have an offer just yet but let me know he’d really like to get one from the Wolverines.
- From all reports, it looks like Rudock will be named the starter. But it doesn’t look as easy of a decision as most expected. Morris is reported to have really improved this offseason.
- Big Ten Network’s Dave Revsine said he’d guess that both Rudock and Morris played vs Utah while MLive’s Nick Baumgardner was told by the coaches they want a clear cut #1 guy. I still believe it’ll be Rudock to take the first and last snap vs Utah but if he struggles, Morris could see time.
- Im not exactly sure how Hackett will change up the game day atmosphere. Im hoping he lays off the advertisements more but don’t imagine the music changing up too much, unless Harbaugh requests it. I’d imagine it being a nice mix of the band and some pump up music.
- My five commits that will have a big impact:
- OL Ben Bredeson
- ATH/QB Victor Viramontes
- RB Kingston Davis
- ATH Chris Evans
- OG Michael Onwenu
- As for two uncommitted guys who I believe will join the class and make an impact:
- DT Rashan Gary
- ATH Keyshawn Young
Garrett, personally I believe Mone has first round draft potential. What’s your thoughts on the injury and the overall defensive look without him? Thanks for the great job you and Dave do on the show.
- Thank you, Michael! As for Mone, I’m with you on the first round potential. This injury shouldn’t hurt his stock and play too much in the future but it should be a tough loss in 2015. I thought he would start vs Utah but don’t sleep on Ryan Glasgow. He is a coaches favorite and underrated nose tackle that can make a lot of plays in the run game.
If you’re looking to send in questions, shoot them over to me on Twitter (@MGoFish) or via email (MGoFishContact@gmail.com).
- 2020-21 Michigan Basketball vs Oakland: Game Highlights - Dec 2, 2020
- 2020 Penn State vs Michigan: Takeaways & Highlights - Dec 1, 2020
- 2020 Penn State vs Michigan: Four Things to Watch - Nov 27, 2020