Most of the recruiting updates have been about the 2016 class but while it’s expected to be a great class, the 2017 class could very well be even better. Thanks to early work being put in, relationships being built, and the staff quickly turning the program around, next year’s class could be even better than the current class.
Check out the latest Michigan football recruiting update:
2017 OT Foster Sarell
The five star west coaster is a top target for the staff and thanks to that pursuit, Sarell and his family are planning on visiting Michigan this spring:
Sarell is one of the top players and offensive lineman in the country and would be a huge get (both literally and figuratively) for this class. When he gets on campus, I wouldn’t be shocked to see Michigan become a favorite in his recruitment moving forward.
2017 DT Fred Hansard
Hansard is another top target for the staff and another that is clearly starting to feel the Wolverines. He spoke with The Michigan Insider’s Sam Webb about his Michigan interest and talked about how much the staff contacts him, his plans to visit Ann Arbor in the near future and his connections to the 2016 recruiting class ($):
I went to Camden Catholic so I know Ron (Johnson) for a while and I know Brad (Hawkins) I keep in contact with Ron,” Hansard stated. “We’ve been talking for a while. I know they’d love me if I go up there and play for them, so I keep in contact with them.”
While the staff looks likely to bring in multiple defensive tackles in the 2016 class, the position will very likely be another top positional need in 2017. And Hansard is a great fit. With his ties to Johnson, the need at the position and Michigan’s New Jersey influence, I believe he is a good candidate to be in this class at the end of the day.
Top Junior Targets
One of the top targets on the board and tight ends in the 2017 class, Roseville (CA) TE Jimmy Jaggers, just so happens to be very high on Michigan. According to Rivals’ Adam Gorney, Jaggers had himself an “excellent” visit to Ann Arbor in September ($). Thanks to that visit and the fit in the offense, Michigan is a legit option here.
As for a top target and recruit that Michigan looks to be trailing for, Indian River (VA) ATH Devon Hunter is still very interested in UM. According to Rivals’ Adam Friedman, Hunter had himself a great time on his visit to Alabama but doesn’t have a favorite at this moment and still likes Michigan, among others ($).
Out of the two, Michigan has a much better shot at Jaggers but they could become a real option for Hunter if they can get him on campus. Continuing to play well on the field would do wonders as well.
- 2016 commit LB David Reese picked up another big, early enrollee offer. This time from TCU. All signs are pointing to him decommitting, unless UM is able to find an EE spot for him.
- 2016 DT Keyshon Camp, who is currently committed to USC, has plans to make a return visit to Michigan for the OSU game at the end of November ($).
- To backup my article on Michigan’s top Texas targets from yesterday (not really but a man can dream), they sent out one of best edits in recent memory for Westlake (TX) DT Jordan Elliott.
- Harbaugh Values Youth, Recruiting in 2021 Coaching Staff Overhaul - Jan 25, 2021
- 2020-21 Michigan Basketball vs Wisconsin - Jan 12, 2021
- 2020-21 Minnesota vs Michigan Basketball: Highlights - Jan 6, 2021