I spoke with a very god source that was at the camp in Grand Prairie and he had some interesting notes, including the coaching staff really taking notice of an up and coming 2018 QB, Drevno not taking any crap and a possible game changer in Caleb Kelly’s recruitment.
The Michigan staff was surrounded by arguably the deepest pool of talent they’ve seen on the Summer Swarm, and according to my source, Harbaugh agreed saying Miami and Dallas were the two most talent rich camps.
Here are some quick notes on several different camp participants:
- 2016 OLB Rahssan Thornton
- “He’s a beast”. They also said the staff spent a lot of time with him.
- 2016 ATH Tre Brown
- “Tre is raw…needs a lot of work on his transitions and overall skill but he was probably the fastest db out there”
- 2018 OT Darrell Simpson
- “Darrell is good. He’s impressed everywhere this summer. Most folks thing he will be one of the top tackles in that class”
- 2018 QB Casey Thompson
- “Casey looked good and the staff knew it”
One last note on the camp, my source said that Michigan’s new coaching staff is “no nonsense”, and proved it when Drevno had to kick a camper off the field. So, for all of us that were hoping for the opposite of Hoke’s staff, this looks to be it.
2016 OLB Caleb Kelly
A possible game changer could be on the way in Kelly’s recruitment as a source close to the situation let me know that Oklahoma (in the top 2 with Michigan) could have a tough time getting Kelly if the GA who he’s close with leaves the program. If this happens, the Wolverines could move into the drivers seat, but this race is far from over.