Phew. What a game last night, huh? Michigan’s defense showed it’s first couple cracks against a highly motivated Gophers squad but were able to make the biggest play of the game on the last play of the game and bring home the Little Brown Jug.
It wasn’t pretty but it gets the bad taste of the MSU game out of everyone’s mouth and there could be some more good news on the way.
Kemp on Deck
According to multiple reports, Michigan’s top BUCK linebacker target, Fairview (CO) LB Carlo Kemp will be making his college decision this week and things still look like a toss up between Michigan and Notre Dame.
The Michigan Insider’s Sam Webb was able to speak with Kemp’s mother who had great things to say about both programs. She said he’s expected to make his decision on Sunday night when they sit down as a family and will let it be known this week ($).
Reading the tea leaves here, I believe this truly could go either way. I wouldn’t be shocked if his family wants him to go to Notre Dame but Kemp wants to go to Michigan. The fit in the Wolverines offense seems to be better but Notre Dame’s religious aspect and the fact that his Godfather used to coach for the Fighting Irish could sway his family.
This one should be very interesting when it’s announced though several Michigan analysts are still predicting Kemp to choose UM. I’ll join them though I wouldn’t put any money on it.
More than Gary at Defensive Tackle
Just a couple weeks ago, Michigan only looked to have one realistic option at defensive tackle in 2016, which was too bad because when you look at the depth chart, the staff could use multiple signees at that position.
Oh how things have changed.
Not only does the nation’s top defensive tackle and #1 overall player, Paramus Catholic (NJ) DT Rashan Gary, look likely to end up committing and signing with Michigan but the Wolverines also look to be in fantastic position to land at least one of their other top DT options.
Last week, Westside (TX) DT Jordan Elliott named Michigan his leader but ended up telling 247Sports’ Taylor Hamm that he has three schools at the top of his list in Michigan, Texas and Baylor ($). So, either way, UM is at the top of his board and things look to possibly be in even better shape than originally thought.
According to Wolverine247’s Steve Lorenz’s source, Elliott’s mom is liking Michigan the most ($):
Mom actually prefers him further away from home,” they said. “She loves Michigan too.”
The Michigan Insider’s Sam Webb has heard good things about his mother’s influence on her son’s recruitment as well as hearing that Michigan’s DL coach Greg Mattison made a trip down to Houston recently to see Elliott ($).
On top of Gary and Elliott, Michigan looks to be in great shape to flip USC commit and Lake Gibson (FL) DT Keyshon Camp.
Thanks to a very good official visit for the UNLV game, USC’s coaching change and his close friendship with former high school teammate and current UM freshmen LB Reuben Jones, Camp could very well end up in this class.
Add in TMI’s Sam Webb also hearing that he could make a return visit to Ann Arbor for the Ohio State game ($) and I wouldn’t be shocked to see a flip happen sooner than most thought. Camp is a name to watch very closely moving forward.
So, what would happen if Gary, Camp, and Elliott want to commit to Michigan? Well, lets be honest, the staff will hold a spot open for Gary until the very end so it’s more of a question about if they’ll have room to take one or two more defensive tackles. It would take some maneuvering but I wouldn’t rule it out.
All three players are legit prospects and could fill different voids on the line. Gary can play just about any DL position in Durkin’s defense while both Camp and Elliott could play pure defensive tackle or put on some more size and play the nose.
- Top 2016 target Alief Elsik (TX) LB Dontavious Jackson named Michigan to his top 7 schools on Twitter. I believe Michigan is still very much a realistic landing spot for Jackson though it will likely come down his official visit for the OSU game. If things go as well as they did for his spring game visit, UM could be in fantastic position going into the offseason.
- After watching 2016 IMG Academy (FL) WR Drake Davis put on a show vs Paramus Catholic, several fans were asking if Michigan would end up offering. Well, that looks very possible now that he is one of Harbaugh’s latest follows on Twitter.
- Newly offered 2016 wide receiver and candidate for Name of the Class, West Orange (FL) WR Eddie McDoom is a wanted commodity and Michigan is a real option. According to The Wolverine’s Brandon Brown’s interview with McDoom’s head coach, they are trying to visit Michigan at a “later date in December” ($).
- Michigan already has three prospects out of Prattville high school expected to be on the 2016 roster and looks like they could be on their way to adding another in 2017. QB/ATH Cam Taylor threw up the “Block M” along side 2016 commits and teammates RB Kingston Davis and LB Dytarious Johnson in a picture on Twitter.
Photo Credit: Mike Carter-USA TODAY Sports
- Happy 10 Year Anniversary, Me - May 25, 2021
- New Michigan Man: DT Jordan Whittley Transfers to Michigan - May 21, 2021
- Coming to Crisler: G Devante Jones Transfers to Michigan - May 1, 2021