Things are looking great for the Team 137 recruiting class as Michigan is really starting to gain some ground on their top targets around the country.
Michigan is looking for versatile defensive backs in 2016 and they have offered one of the most versatile in the Midwest, Pitt commit CB Tony Butler.
Butler is a long, athletic defensive back that has the size to play safety but coverage ability to play corner, which is exactly what the staff is looking for in their defensive backfield. And Michigan has a very good shot here.
He visited in early April and has been tweeting a lot of pro-Michigan stuff recently. Add in his head coach from last year, Rick Finotti, now being a member of the Wolverines coaching staff and I believe there’s a very good chance he flips.
New Jersey Rivals Camp
As for other guys I believe will be apart of this class, the New Jersey Rivals camp featured several top targets including WR Brad Hawkins and Rashan Gary.
As for Gary, he was much more coy in his interview with Rivals’ Mike Farrell ($). But he mentioned multiple times how big education was going to be in his decision and how his mom is a big factor.
Speaking of his mother, according to Go Blue Wolverine’s Sam Webb, she has set a return visit to Ann Arbor in the “next month” for Rashan but this time, she’s coming along ($).
Michigan will likely roll out the red carpet for the two since this will be the staff’s best chance to make a big time impact in Gary’s recruitment.
Other targets at the NJ Rivals Camp:
- DE Ron Johnson said Michigan was the school him and teammate Brad Hawkins both liked the most ($). After seeing this video, I like the Wolverines chances here even more than before when I added him to my latest 2016 BGRC.
- WR Ahmir Mitchell spoke with Rivals’ Mike Farrell and named Michigan third in his top 5 at the moment ($). If Michigan lands one of his NJ buddies, it could sway things quickly.
- TE Naseir Upshur is another guy who is looking like a very possible addition to the 2016 class. He also spoke with Farrell and said “I love Michigan, man” and went on to talk about how close he was with the new staff ($).
In-State Great 8 for 2017
This may potentially be the biggest news of the week for Michigan recruiting as Sam Webb has broken the news of the “In-State Great 8” ($). What is that? That is a visit for the staff’s top eight (non-committed) in-state 2017 targets, which includes the likes of Donovan Peoples-Jones, Josh Ross and Corey Malone-Hatcher.
Getting their top guys on campus at the same time is a fantastic recipe for a little commitment frenzy and I wouldn’t be shocked to see at least two guys pull the trigger.
More 2017 News
- According to Wolverine247’s Steve Lorenz, recently offered RB Anthony McFarland is “high” on Michigan early ($).
- RB Todd Sibley unsurprisingly committed to Ohio State after their spring game.
- S Devin Gil tweeted that he will be visiting Michigan on June 14th and he’ll be coming with teammate and top linebacker target Devin Bush Jr, according to 247’s Steve Lorenz.
- RB D’Andre Swift told The Wolverine’s Brandon Brown that he’ll visit Michigan this summer ($).
- ATH Lamar Winston told Lorenz he will take an official visit to Ann Arbor this fall ($).
- LB Jaquan Yulee told Rivals’ Stu Coman that Michigan is one of his top schools and plans on visiting “pretty soon” ($). And teammate/best friend 2017 five star athlete Devon Hunter will be coming along with him ($).
- CB Wayne Davis told 247’s Clint Brewster that Michigan is one of the top 4 teams recruiting him the hardest and they will get one of his official visits this fall ($).
- DE Michael Dwumfour told The Wolverine’s Tim Sullivan that he’ll be visiting and camping at Michigan this summer ($).