What a weekend, huh? Michigan’s passing game put together their best showing of the season as UM moved to 7-2 on the year after blowing out Rutgers (check out my postgame recap). On top of the big win, Michigan State lost to Nebraska to put UM right back in the race for a B1G title and Jim Harbaugh landed himself one of the top recruits on the staff’s board.
Carlo and Cartwheels
Michigan picked up their first 2016 commitment since August on Sunday as Fairview (CO) Buck LB Carlo Kemp committed to UM over Notre Dame. And for the first time that I can remember, we were all able to see exactly how a commitment call goes down as Carlo filmed the entire thing. It’s pretty awesome, especially hearing Coach Harbaugh’s reaction:
Daniels Official Reaction
This weekend didn’t feature the biggest or best recruiting visitors list of the season but the top uncommitted target on campus had himself a great time.
Trinity (TX) DT Chris Daniels officially visited Michigan and his former home state this weekend, and according to his conversation with The Michigan Insider’s Sam Webb, he had a great time ($). But it wasn’t just the play of the defensive line, academics, or ability to go pro that stood out. It was also the group of defensive line recruits the staff is hoping to end the class with:
While Michigan is in great shape with all of those recruits, signing four more defensive lineman seems almost impossible because of the lack of open spots and needs elsewhere. Most believed they’d only have room for two(ish) more, depending on attrition.
It’s not exactly known if they will indeed sign four more defensive lineman, as they’ll let the class come to them, but they are clearly hoping to do so. And if they end up signing Gary, Elliott, Daniels and Onwuzurike…..that’ll easily be one of the best D-Line hauls in the country.
Juarez in Play?
Speaking of pipe dream scenarios, The Wolverine crew put together their latest Inside the Fort article and it had some big time hitters, including one that caught my attention the most as they’re hearing good things about Michigan’s chances with five star North (CA) OLB Mique Juarez.
How about that?
Juarez is one of the best players in the class and most physically impressive players in the last couple classes. It’s obviously still a long shot but the fact that the chance is there is potentially huge. Check out his highlights to see his potential for yourself:
- Since news broke of Michigan not having an early enrollee spot for current commit, Farmington (MI) LB David Reese, most have expected him to decommit and choose one of his latest offers. Well, that could be happening in the near future. Reese officially visited Nebraska this weekend and told Scout’s Allen Trieu he has “a lot to think about” ($).
- Michigan’s top two offensive targets on the board, IMG Academy (FL) TE Isaac Nauta and De Paul Catholic (NJ) RB Kareem Walker officially visited Alabama this past weekend and, from the look of things, had a good time.
- Speaking of Nauta, 247Wolverine’s Steve Lorenz is hearing very positive things about Michigan’s chances and how the staff is feeling about their chances with the nation’s #1 tight end ($).
- New Michigan Man: 2022 TE Marlin Klein Commits to Michigan - Sep 22, 2020
- 2021 LB Casey Phinney Flips from Michigan to Boston College - Sep 20, 2020
- New Michigan Man: RB Tavierre Dunlap Commits to Michigan - Sep 12, 2020