Almost made it. We’re almost to August and the start of the 2015 college football season. With the change of the months also brings some very likely recruiting news for the Wolverines. The BBQ at the Big House visitors list is growing like crazy and is expected to be even bigger than I imagined. At this point, I’d be shocked if something big didn’t happen during the event.
Don’t Worry About Peters
For the 2nd straight Inside the Fish Bowl, The Wolverine’s Brandon Brown was there to update everyone about a commitment who people thought could possibly decommit. Last time it was LB David Reese and this time, he caught up with quarterback commit Brandon Peters to clear the air about his Twitter activity on Sunday that freaked out a lot of Michigan fans ($). And it was very simple:
I’d never decommit from Michigan.”
So, rest easy, Maize and Blue faithful. The Elite 11 QB will be a Michigan Wolverine from here on out.
Celebrating Too Soon?
Every single Michigan recruiting analyst believed it was possible that WR Ahmir Mitchell would commit on his visit to Ann Arbor on Saturday. Scout’s Bill Greene who put Michigan fans on “SERIOUS commitment watch” during the trip. But Mitchell had other plans on Saturday morning:
To end all speculation I will not be committing on my visits.
— Ahmir_SoDevoted (@TheDeuce_2_Nice) July 25, 2015
With that tweet, reports of him having a great time at Ohio State’s Friday Night Lights, and him recently following multiple OSU coaches, fans (once again) started to freak out a bit. Though I have not spoke with him, I still believe he’ll end up choosing the Maize and Blue in the near future.
“Why?”, you might ask. Well…..
- It is still unknown if Mitchell is a take for the OSU coaching staff right now because of their high standing with other top receiver targets.
- Even if OSU sees him as a take, I believe Michigan is, and will remain, the favorite thanks to the total package they offer (depth chart, NFL coaches, education and his relationships with some of the current commits).
- He’s clearly a top target for not only the staff but the commits as DE Ron Johnson recently changed his Twitter profile picture to him and Mitchell throwing up the Block M’s in Michigan jerseys.
- He has confirmed his 2nd trip to Ann Arbor in back to back weekends and with the other targets and commits expected to be in town for the BBQ, I believe a decision could come during/soon after the trip.
Could I be wrong and he could end up as a Buckeye? Of course. But when you look at everything, Michigan still looks like the much better fit and the likely landing spot for one of the top players in the country.
Top Two for Pie Young
While Mitchell is the likely next wide receiver addition to the class, a name you should have been looking out for to be apart of this class (if you’re a normal reader of this site) is WR Keyshawn “Pie” Young.
I added him to my July Best Guess Recruiting Class after speaking with him the day he was offered by the Wolverines. And now the dynamic receiver has released his top two teams, including Michigan:
Young spoke with Scout’s Corey Bender and let it be known that Michigan running 2nd behind Alabama at the moment ($). While that normally sounds bad, it’s a fantastic sign for the Wolverines.
Alabama has been recruiting him since February while Michigan just offered him at the end of June. So, with them quickly jumping to the top of his list before even visiting is big. He is also very close with Michigan’s current Florida commits and with the staff in dire need of home run hitters on offense, I believe he will end up in the Maize and Blue if things continue on the same path.
- According to TheMichiganInsider’s Sam Webb, LB Jonathan Smith will be visiting for the BBQ at the Big House ($). He’s also expected to announce his decision in the near future so keep a close eye on this visit.
- Webb also has heard that a couple big in-state targets committed elsewhere ($) could be finding their way to Ann Arbor to see what the BBQ is all about.
- There have been a ton of Twitter rumors saying that Dennis Norfleet announced his decision to transfer to Tuskegee vis SnapChat. It’s not known if that is 100% true just yet as Webb was there again to update everyone on what both the Michigan and Detroit King coaches know about the situation ($).
- For the NCAA Football video gamers out there, Michigan digital designer Aaron Bills tweeted out a first look of Stanford transfer CB Wayne Lyons in the Maize and Blue #24. So make sure to update your rosters.
- I spoke with 2017 RB Eno Benjamin recently to catch up on his recruitment and he let me know that he’s been in touch with RB coach Tyrone Wheatley and was told that the staff will evaluate the 2017 running backs soon. It looks like an offer is on the way in the near future so stay tuned.
- DB Jaylen Kelly-Powell told Wolverine247’s Steve Lorenz that he plans on committing after junior season ($). I would be shocked if he doesn’t end up in the Maize and Blue.
- Another 2017 target to keep an eye on is Wilson to visit is elite OT Isaiah Wilson. He’s shown Michigan a ton of love on social media recently and didn’t hide his love for the Wolverines ($) in his interview with Wolverine247’s Steve Lorenz. Look for him to visit this fall.
- 2020-21 Michigan Basketball vs Wisconsin - Jan 12, 2021
- 2020-21 Minnesota vs Michigan Basketball: Highlights - Jan 6, 2021
- 2020-21 Northwestern vs Michigan Basketball: Highlights - Jan 5, 2021