With the 2015 Summer Swarm satellite camp tour moving full steam ahead (and oh has it been fun), Michigan recruiting is starting to really gain some momentum. The staff has added two 2016 commitments this week (Onwenu and Enis) and look to be on the verge of adding more shortly.
One of the names that just about everyone believes will join the 2016 class next is Indianapolis (IN) Ben Davis star RB/ATH Chris Evans.
After visiting Ann Arbor last weekend and receiving his offer from the staff, it looked like just a matter of time before he pulled the trigger for the Maize and Blue. And that time may be here as he told multiple reporters that he plans on making his decision tomorrow (Saturday, June 6th).
So, that’s great news, right?
Probably. However, Scout’s Anna Hickey has the inside scoop on Evans and let people know that while he is very high on Michigan, if Notre Dame offers “he’ll be Irish” ($).
If he sticks with announcing on Saturday, he’ll be Blue. But he’ll also be the commit to watch the most in terms of flipping later on.
Speaking of running back recruits who has the Michigan fans nervous, 2016 Prattville (AL) RB Kingston Davis took part in the satellite camp today and looked to have a great time learning from his future coaches:
He also spoke with 247’s Steve Lorenz about his commitment status ($):
My commitment is solid,” he said. “It would take something major for me to reconsider. There’d have to be a chance for a great education and a great opportunity to play early that would be better than what Michigan has to offer.
One thing that looks like it could be the deal breaker is if Michigan tried to move him to fullback. But that’s clearly not going to happen with Wheatley loving big, physical backs, like Davis.
— Sam Webb (@SamWebb77) June 5, 2015
Decisions on the Docket
Though Michigan is likely to miss out on a couple offered prospects this weekend to rival schools, they are in great shape to add several more pieces to the 2016 puzzle this month, including Farmington Hills (MI) Harrison DE/OLB Khalid Kareem.
Kareem tweeted out yesterday that he was going to announce his college decision on June 24th, and my quick reaction was that this was good news for Michigan State. But oh how wrong (it looks like) I was.
It looks like Michigan did even better than I previously believed on Kareem’s visit to campus at the end of May as multiple 247 analysts have put in their Crystal Ball predictions for the Harrison star to join the 2016 Michigan recruiting class.
Why the change of heart?
Steve Lorenz was on top of it again. After doing some digging and talking to “good to great” sources, it looks like Michigan pulled away thanks to that final visit that featured an education tour ($).
As for two other top targets who could be Wolverine commits later this summer, Egg Harbor City (NJ) Cedar Creek WR Ahmir Mitchell and Hyattsville (MD) DeMatha OG Terrance Davis may have shown their hands on Twitter today.
Mitchell spoke with The Wolverines’ Brandon Brown about his recruitment and was sure to show Brown his socks he’s rocking at the Rivals Five Star Challenge:
— Brandon Brown (@BSB_Wolverine) June 5, 2015
I included Mitchell in my last 2016 Best Guess Recruiting Class and that looks to be a great call. With Ohio State (very likely) about to pick up WR Austin Mack this weekend, Michigan will likely be in the drivers seat for good for Mitchell, who could pull the trigger at any time.
Oh yeah, he also happens to be rooming with top 2016 TE target, Philadelphia (PA) Imhotep’s Nasier Upshur at the Rivals camp.
Another member of my BGRC, Davis may have had a little bit of a Freudian slip when tweeting out a picture of Harbaugh at the camp today:
Now, most recruits call any coach “coach” but with the amount of Michigan love he’s been showing, it looks like he just may be that silent commitment that Sam Webb mentioned about last week.
- In a (possible) drastic change of events, it looks like Ann Arbor (MI) Skyline LB Daelin Hayes may be wavering on his commitment to USC because of some family issues and a lost connection to the west coast. TrojanSports.com has more on Hayes and his status ($).
- One committed target I believe is still in play for Michigan has been IMG Academy TE and Florida State commit Isaac Nauta. He has a great relationship and connection to DL Coach Greg Mattison, has family ties to the area and seems to consistently mention the Wolverines whenever asked about his recruitment. And he just confirmed that he will be taking an official visit to Ann Arbor this fall.
- Speaking of Sunshine State targets, Michigan has made the Top 7 list for newly offered WR Freddie Swain ($).
- Michigan has offered 2017 RB Sione Heimuli-Lund
- Michigan Takes Care of Texas Southern, Moves onto 2nd Round - Mar 20, 2021
- Michigan Receives Expected #1 Seed in 2021 NCAA Tournament - Mar 14, 2021
- New Michigan Man: WR Tay’shawn Trent Commits to Michigan - Mar 3, 2021