It’s no secret that the #1 target on the Michigan coaching staff’s recruiting board is the top player in the country, Paramus Catholic (NJ) DT Rashan Gary. The New Jersey star is one of the best overall prospects to come out of high school over the last 10+ years and looks to be very high on Michigan. If the staff can secure a commitment, he’ll join a long list of top defensive tackles who committed and signed with the Wolverines.
Though Gary would be the best get in program history, since 2002 (the start of internet recruiting sites), Michigan has reeled in 16 top ranked defensive tackles, including 4 five star targets:
- 5* Gabe Watson – #3 DT, #33 Overall via Rivals
- 4* Mike Martin, #12 DT, #196 Overall via Scout
- 5* Will Campbell, #5 DT, #26 Overall via Rivals
- 4* Richard Ash, #25 DT
- 4* Jibreel Black, #15 DT, #174 Overall via Scout
- 5* Ondre Pipkins, #3 DT, #14 Overall via Rivals
- 4* Bryan Mone, #6 DT, #88 Overall via Scout
Not all of the names above turned into stars in the Maize and Blue but when you look at Gary, he is arguably the most “can’t miss” defensive tackle recruit in recent memory.