Michigan is in a state of flux that is known as a \”coaching search\”. While AD Jim Hackett and the search committee have narrowed their list down to four candidates (according to GBW\’s Sam Webb), Michigan has a couple coaches, including Chris Singletary and Greg Mattison, still working on recruits.
They can\’t really sell recruits too much on the program without a coach in place, but it has been reported by both 247Sports\’ Steve Lorenz and GBW\’s Tom Beaver that a home run hire (like Jim Harbaugh or Les Miles) would be HUGE for several top recruits across the country.
So, while I\’m staying optimistic, I have put together some of the names in the 2015 and 2016 class to look out for on the recruiting front once (insert name) is hired on as the next Michigan football coach:
2015 Former Commits:
- RB Damien Harris
- The nation\’s top running back is still uncommitted and is expected to make a decision January 9th. That should give the new coach at least a week to try and bring him back on board.
- RB Mike Weber
- The best back in the midwest recently decommitted and then committed to the rival Buckeyes. While it will be tough to get him to decommit again, I\’m sure the commits and staff will do their best to get the job done.
- TE Chris Clark
- He still lists Michigan among his favorites and seems like the best possibility of re-committing to the Wolverines if the new coach makes him a top priority.
- CB Garrett Taylor
- After decommitting in November, he decided to commit to Penn State. While it will be tough to flip him, he was one of the commits that loved the Wolverines the most. A new coach will at least give him a call.
- DE Darian Roseboro
- He is one of the best players in the country and chose his in-state NC State Wolf Pack after decommitting. If a big hire comes on, he could be a legit option for a flip.
- QB Josh Rosen
- Nation\’s #1 QB visited Ann Arbor and seemed to have a good time. If Harbaugh is hired, even with Malzone in place, he may want an elite arm to bring in. And with what he did for Andrew Luck, Rosen may take notice.
- TE Tyrone Wheatley Jr
- The son of the former Michigan great has been high on the Wolverines since his recruitment began. Expect the new coach to target him right away, as well as his dad (possibly for a staff position).
- CB Iman Marshall
- The top corner in the country was planning on visiting Ann Arbor before Hoke was fired and could be a legit option for either Harbaugh, Miles or Mora Jr if they\’re hired.
- LB/DE Keisean Lucier-South
- KLS is a well-known Michigan fan and had a fantastic visit to Ann Arbor during the season. He\’s committed to UCLA at the moment, but if the new coach comes calling, he\’ll likely listen.
- WR Auden Tate
- The FSU commit is another big Michigan fan who had a very good visit to Ann Arbor. There\’s a very good chance Michigan could flip him if the new coach has enough time to build a relationship.
- OLB Osa Masina
- Once very high on the Wolverines, Masina looks like he will stay out west. However, if the new coach comes calling, he\’ll likely listen and could become a legit option at outside linebacker.
- DE Terry Beckner
- The top prospect in the Midwest is uncommitted and at a position of need. He may not be a legit option but the new staff will likely reach out to see if he\’s interested.
- ATH John Kelly
- One of the last offers from Hoke\’s staff, Kelly is a known Michigan fan and one of the most explosive playmakers in the Midwest. I really like Michigan\’s chances if the new coach makes him a priority. He\’ll also help with Mike Weber.
- OLB John Houston
- If Harbaugh is hired, he will likely target recruits out west and Houston is one of the best uncommitted guys out there. Not sure if he\’ll be interested, but I\’m sure the new coach will reach out.
- WR Trent Irwin
- One of the best receivers out west, Irwin was getting some interest from the last staff. With his high interest in Stanford, look out for Harbaugh (if he\’s hired) to target him.
- DT Rashan Gary
- One of, if not, the best recruits in the class was high on Michigan before. Expect him to be one of the first recruits contacted by the new staff.
- QB KJ Costello
- Michigan already has Messiah deWeaver committed but I expect the new coach to still recruit the position. And Costello was rumored to almost commit to the Wolverines over the summer. I believe the new staff will still contact him.
- QB Shea Patterson
- See above. Patterson is one of the best QBs in the class and was very interested in Michigan before. If it\’s Harbaugh or Miles, they have some great selling points (Harbaugh has Andrew Luck and Patterson is very high on LSU right now).
- RB Kareem Walker
- The top running back in the class was interested in Michigan before. Expect the new staff to make him a top target.
- CB Levonta Taylor
- The top corner in the class will always be targeted by Michigan. Selling him on Michigan and playing with Jabrill Peppers shouldn\’t be too hard.
- OL Ben Bredeson
- He was very high on Michigan before the dismissal of Coach Hoke. Expect the new staff to reach out to him right away.
- OL Liam Eichenberg
- He was another top lineman from the Midwest that was high on Michigan under Hoke. A home run hire could put them right back in the thick of things.
- CB Lavert Hill
- Brother of current Michigan safety, Delano, and one of the best corners in Michigan and the country, Lavert will be a top priority for the new staff.
- RB Elijah Holyfield
- Michigan was very high on the Wolverines before Hoke was let go and I expect him to be one of the top targets for the new staff, especially with the (likely) need of multiple backs in this class.
- DE Josh King
- The top defensive prospects in the Midwest will always be targeted by Michigan and King is one of the those recruits. Expect the new staff to target him heavily.
- Happy 10 Year Anniversary, Me - May 25, 2021
- New Michigan Man: DT Jordan Whittley Transfers to Michigan - May 21, 2021
- Coming to Crisler: G Devante Jones Transfers to Michigan - May 1, 2021