Bringing together highly interested recruits for an event is always a great idea for a college football program. It allows the kids to hangout, get to know each other and talk about the possibility of teaming up and playing together at the next level. This has resulted in big time recruiting days for schools all over the country, including Michigan (February 19th, 2012). That is the day Brady Hoke landed the commitments of six players (Wyatt Shallman, David Dawson, Jourdan Lewis, Kyle Bosch, Chris Fox and Taco Charlton) after the basketball team\’s big win over OSU.
And now there is an outside chance that Brady Hoke could have another big day in the near future, the weekend of July 27th to be exact.
Thanks to a dream list of visitors attending the 2014 BBQ at the Big House, many whom are very high on the Wolverines, it is possible that Michigan not only lands a recruit or two, but they could have an all-time memorable day on the recruiting trail.
Here is a list of guys who are very high on the Maize and Blue and will/could be in attendance:
2015 DE Darian Roseboro
– The big time defensive end is expected to make a decision later this summer and is rumored to be really favoring Michigan. He has set his announcement date for August 29th, but with another great visit and a chance to get to know the other commits and recruits, there\’s a chance a decision is made at the BBQ or is the deciding factor for his announcement at the end of August.
2015 LB Joshua McMillon
– One player that flew under the radar for a long time is McMillon. He was hardly ever looked at as a legit option thanks to being in SEC country and holding an offer from Nick Saban. Welp, that\’s not the case anymore as the talented linebacker was gushing about the Wolverines to Scout\’s Sam Webb at The Opening ($). There are plenty of teams left in his recruitment but it is seen as a two horse race between Michigan and Alabama, and a decision is planned for August 22nd. However, if he gets that feeling and falls in love even more with the program, there\’s a chance he pulls the trigger at/right after the BBQ.
2015 WR Auden Tate
– Another player that has the Wolverines definitely in his top 2 schools and possibly favoring, is Tate. The big bodied, hybrid tight end/receiver grew up a huge Michigan fan and admitted to 247\’s Luke Stampini ($) that Michigan was his \”dream school\”. And now he may be finally visiting Ann Arbor. If the visit happens, I think he could join in on the fun with a commitment after seeing everything Ann Arbor, the University and the program has to offer. Now, this one is less likely because he may not make the trip, but with his love for the program, the emotions of finally being on campus, and the recruitment from the current commits, I think it\’s possible.
2015 RB Mike Weber
– Now this one is a bit of a shot in the dark. It looked like the Wolverines had a long, tough fight on their hands for Weber only about a week ago. However, thanks to increased interest from the staff and the commits (Malzone especially via Scout\’s Sam Webb and Kyle Bogenschutz ($)), as well as the fact that the one school seen as the biggest threat, MSU, just picked up a running back in 2015, it looks like Michigan may be in the driver seat for good. This one would surprise us all but crazier things have happened.
2016 TE Naseir Upshur
– One of the top tight ends in the class and clearly one of the top guys on the staff\’s board, Upshur has shown a lot of love for the Wolverines once receiving his offer. His relationship with Coach Ferrigno and love for the program gives Michigan a great chance with him. If he has another amazing visit, who knows, he could get that itch to join the 2016 class.
2016 OT Thiyo Lukusa
– Lukusa is very, very high on Michigan and would be a member of the class if the coaching staff didn\’t slow him down and tell him to take his time. He has done that and increased his interest in other schools, especially MSU, but I think Michigan is still the outright favorite. If he shows up and figures out there\’s no other place for him, and the coaches are ready, it\’s possible he joins the class.
2016 OLB Daelin Hayes
– Similar to Lukusa, Hayes was ready to make a decision (all signs pointed to Michigan) but he decided to slow things down and look around. This gave the chance for Notre Dame to swoop in with an offer and, according to 247\’s Steve Wiltfong, it was received with a ton of excitement ($). That is why he\’s probably the longest shot of anyone on this list, but there\’s a reason he almost committed to the Wolverines two months ago. If he makes it to town, expect Messiah deWeaver and Erik Swenson to be all over him.
2016 RB Kentrail Moran
– Moran is one of the top talents in the Midwest and happens to have a lot of love for the Wolverines. In a report by 247\’s Steve Lorenz ($), the O\’Fallon (IL) said \”It would definitely be a tough offer to top if I were to get one from them\”. After the interview, Steve went on to add a Crystal Ball prediction in for Michigan and I would have done the same thing. If he does in fact land that offer, I think there\’s a slim chance he makes a quick decision.
2016 DL Prince Sammons
– Easily one of the most physically impressive recruits in the class, Sammons is a monster lineman that has big time interest in the Maize and Blue. He has visited Ann Arbor multiple times but has yet to land the coveted offer. IMO, that could all change at the BBQ. Big time programs have started to offer and I doubt Michigan wants to fall behind on another recruit they have a phenomenal shot with (ex: Mike Weber). So, if Hoke does indeed extend an offer, a decision could be made in the near future.
Other guys who could make a decision soon after the BBQ:
- 2015 CB Mook Reynolds
- 2015 CB Marcus Lewis
Now, before anyone calls this a rumor, it\’s not. Nothing\’s imminent but (IMO) if one big named guy pulls the trigger, a domino effect could hit the other recruits and some real fireworks could be added to the BBQ at the Big House.
So, stay tuned!
- Happy 10 Year Anniversary, Me - May 25, 2021
- New Michigan Man: DT Jordan Whittley Transfers to Michigan - May 21, 2021
- Coming to Crisler: G Devante Jones Transfers to Michigan - May 1, 2021