Michigan landed one of its biggest targets on the board as DePaul Catholic (NJ) RB Kareem Walker has committed to the Wolverines 2016 class.
Walker is one of the top running backs and players in the class. He has the size, speed and agility that Michigan is sorely missing in their stable. And thanks to the lack of a big play threat and his early enrollment, there’s a good chance that he sees the field early and often, as long as he develops and picks up the play book.
There weren’t many recruitments that were as wild as Walker’s. He committed to Ohio State at halftime of their National Championship game and stuck with it for months. Then news broke of him taking an out of the blue official visit to Michigan for the Northwestern game and that’s when the fun started. I learned that Walker was likely to decommit from OSU and favor UM, and he ended up following suit.
Thanks to the relationships he built with the staff, players and recruits, as well as his fit in the offense, he saw the right fit in Ann Arbor even though both Florida State and others had him thinking twice before his decision. But at the end of the day, he stayed true to his word and committed to UM.
- Height: 6’1”
- Weight: 210lbs
- Hometown/School: Wayne, NJ (De Paul Catholic)
- Notable Offers: Ohio State, Alabama, Auburn, Clemson, Florida State, Notre Dame
- Rankings: Scout (5*, #25 overall) – Rivals (4*, #1 RB) – 247Sports (4*, #1 RB) – ESPN (4*, #1 RB)
As for the Rest of the Class: Walker is the 23rd commit and 2nd running back in the class. He’s also the 4th commit out of New Jersey but shouldn’t be the last. DT Rashan Gary is the top uncommitted option to join UM’s class out of the Garden State but ATH Jordan Fuller is another name to watch. Other names to keep an eye on to make a decision next include WR Keyshawn “Pie” Young, OT Jean Delance and WR Dylan Crawford.
Latest posts by Garrett Fishaw (see all)
- New Michigan Man: ATH Tyrece Woods Commits to Michigan - Aug 12, 2018
- 2018 Michigan Football Season Preview: Position Battles to Watch - Aug 12, 2018
- Coming to Crisler: 2019 F Cole Bajema Commits to Michigan - Aug 6, 2018