Cornerback is one of the biggest needs for the staff in 2016 and they have just brought in the top corner in the state after former Penn State commit and King (MI) CB Lavert Hill has finally announced his commitment to Michigan.
Hill is one of the best cover corners in the country and one of the best defensive backs Detroit has produced over the years, which is saying a lot when you consider the history (Jourdan Lewis, Damon Webb, Delano Hill, etc). Like Lewis, he has a chance to come in and contribute right away as the staff is always in need of aggressive, cover corners.
As for his recruitment, it was over pretty quickly after he decided to pull the trigger and commit to Penn State during a visit in late January. And while he was solid commit, the Michigan coaching staff did not slow down their pursuit. After multiple visits, he decided to decommit from Penn State. But instead of quickly making a decision, he held off and took his time to make some more visits before making a decision. It took a little longer than most projected but Hill ended keeping it in the family and committing to Michigan on National Signing Day.
- Height: 5’10”
- Weight: 175lbs
- Hometown/School: Detroit, MI (Martin Luther King)
- Notable Offers: Penn State, Michigan State, Ohio State, Tennessee, Clemson
- Rankings: Scout (4*, #97 overall) – Rivals (4*, #176 overall) – 247 (4*, #135 overall) – ESPN (3*, #278 overall)
As for the Rest of the Class: Hill is the 26th overall commit, 2nd pure cornerback in the class and the 2nd in-state commit. With him on the board, the defensive back recruiting is likely done. The staff will now look to wrap up the class with DT Rashan Gary, K Quinn Nordin, DE Connor Murphy and/or TE Devin Asiasi.
Latest posts by Garrett Fishaw (see all)
- Michigan Recruiting Preview: 20 Names to Know in 2020 - Jan 13, 2019
- Early Impact: Looking at Michigan’s 2019 Early Enrollees - Jan 5, 2019
- New Michigan Man: 2020 QB JD Johnson Commits to Michigan - Dec 21, 2018