In a piece of expected news (and the 2nd time it’s been announced), Michigan picked up the commitment of former Kentucky player and top100 recruits, Charles Matthews, out of Chicago, IL. according to ESPN’s Jeff Goodman.
Kentucky transfer Charles Matthews is headed to Michigan, source told ESPN.
— Jeff Goodman (@GoodmanESPN) June 21, 2016
Though making an appearance in all 36 games, Matthews didn’t play very much as a freshmen with the Wildcats. He averaged less than 2 points and 2 rebounds per game but given the amount of NBA talent that was on the UK roster, it makes perfect sense that he was unable to crack the top lineup.
At Michigan, he could be a perfect fit. He’ll have to sit out the 2016-17 season because of NCAA transfer rules but with Zak Irvin graduating after this year, his addition is coming at the right time. He has an inside-out game and can score from all over the court. If he can build up that chemistry with Xavier Simpson and Ibi Watson, John Beilein should have a nice backcourt to work with moving forward.
CBHoops’ Corry Black originally tweeted out the news of Matthews transferring to Michigan last week but it was premature. A visit needed to take place before the staff would accept a commitment. But once it did, the Kentucky transfer didn’t waste too much time before making things official.
- Height: 6’6”
- Weight: 175lbs
- Hometown (School): Chicago, IL (Kentucky)
- Rankings: Scout (4*, #80 overall) – Rivals (4*, #48 overall) – 247 (4*, #59 overall) – ESPN (4*, #42 overall)
Photo Credit: CoachCal.com
Latest posts by Garrett Fishaw (see all)
- New Michigan Man: DT Mazi Smith Commits to Michigan - Jun 24, 2018
- New Michigan Man: RB Zach Charbonnet Commits to Michigan - Jun 24, 2018
- New Michigan Man: TE Erick All Commits to Michigan - Jun 24, 2018