In a shocking turn of events, Michigan added their 2nd addition of the 2016 class today when Gilman (MD) OT Stephen Spanellis committed to the Wolverines.
— Stephen Spanellis (@Big_Spanellis78) January 22, 2016
Spanellis is a big, physical, old school offensive lineman that may not have the elite athleticism to play the tackle position at the collegiate level. It’s unknown where he will play during his time at Michigan but he may be a better fit on the inside at the guard position thanks to his power, size and drive though it’s likely UM sees him at tackle at this point.
As for his recruitment, Spanellis was offered by Brady Hoke early on in his high school career but didn’t seem to give Michigan much of a look. However, once Harbaugh and Drevno came calling, offered him a scholarship and brought him on campus for an official visit in mid-January, it looked likely that he’d be a Wolverine as long as he was a take by the staff. Well, those questions were answered when he decided to flip his commitment from Virginia to Michigan with the help of his teammate and UM commit OT Devery Hamilton.
- Height: 6’5”
- Weight: 325lbs
- Hometown/School: Baltimore, MD (Gilman)
- Notable Offers: Virginia, Michigan State, Arkansas, South Carolina, Virginia Tech
- Rankings: Scout (3*, #100 OT) – Rivals (3*, #36 OT) – 247 (3*, #61 OT) – ESPN (3*, #60 OG)
As for the Rest of the Class: Spanellis is the 22nd commitment of the class and 4th offensive lineman. With his addition, Michigan looks to likely be down on the offensive line though the staff may continue to swing for the fences on OT EJ Price. Outside of that, ATH Khaleke Hudson, WR Eddie McDoom, TE Chase Allen and WR Donald Stewart look to be names to watch to join the class next.
Photo Credit: Scout.com
Latest posts by Garrett Fishaw (see all)
- New Michigan Man: Utah DB Casey Hughes Transfers to Michigan - Jan 21, 2018
- New Michigan Man: DB Vincent Gray Commits to Michigan - Jan 21, 2018
- Look Who’s Visiting Now: January 19th & 20th - Jan 20, 2018