Finally. That’s what most Wolverine fans are thinking after news broke of St. Mary’s (MI) LB Josh Ross deciding to pull the trigger and commit to Michigan.
— Joshua Ross (@Joshua_Ross05) March 22, 2016
Ross, the younger brother of former Wolverine LB James Ross, is one of the top 2017 linebackers and players in the state. While he was a top target for the previous coaching staff, he became a true priority when Harbaugh took over. And for good reason. Like his brother, he’s an extremely smart and technical player but unlike his brother he has the prototypical size of a LB. There aren’t many linebackers that are better pure tacklers in the class which should make him a great fit at the SAM or MIKE spot in Brown’s defense.
Throughout his recruitment, he looked like a lock to end up as a Wolverine especially after the new staff made him a #1 priority as part of the top in-state targets. He took his time to really make sure he was ready to shut down his recruitment but got the itch after a spring practice visit and ended up joining the class just days later.
- Height: 6’2”
- Weight: 225lbs
- Hometown (School): Orchard Lake, MI (OLSM)
- Notable Offers: Ohio State, Notre Dame, Michigan State, Oklahoma, LSU
- Rankings: Scout (4*, #228 overall) – Rivals (4*, #189 overall) – 247 (4*, #188 overall) – ESPN (4*, #162 overall)
As for the Rest of the Class: Ross is the 6th member of the 2017 class and the 3rd in-state commit. His addition should just be the start of a nice in-state run for the Wolverines as his commitment will help with the rest of the group, which includes teammate WR Donovan Peoples-Jones and OLB Corey Malone-Hatcher. As for the other top pure linebacker target, Paramus Catholic (NJ) LB Drew Singleton looks like the surest bet to be the 2nd true linebacker in the class.
Photo Credit: Matthew O’Haren-USA TODAY Sports
Latest posts by Garrett Fishaw (see all)
- New Michigan Man: QB Kevin Doyle Commits to Michigan - Sep 26, 2017
- Tale of Two Halves: 2017 Purdue vs. Michigan Game Recap and Highlights - Sep 25, 2017
- Four Things to Watch: Purdue vs. Michigan Game Preview - Sep 23, 2017