After what seems like the most awaited commitment in program history, one of the staff’s top targets overall, Cass Tech (MI) DB Jaylen Kelly-Powell, has finally committed to Michigan.
Kelly-Powell is a versatile defensive back out of Detroit’s biggest college football factory. While he’s out of DB High, he has a much different playing style than the likes of Jourdan Lewis, Terry Richardson and Damon Webb. JKP has the ability to cover like a corner but can also hit like a safety and definitely isn’t afraid to do so. Thanks to that versatility, it’ll be interesting to see how many positions he plays in Brown’s defense.
Since the day he was offered, Michigan has been the heavy favorite for Kelly-Powell. His family is full of Wolverines fans and he was even named after Fab 5 star, Jalen Rose. This was a story that everyone seemed to know the ending but just wasn’t sure when it was going to go down.
Well, with his senior season wrapping up, JKP decided to wrap things up and join the Wolverines class.
This was an ending sources have let us know about for quite sometime as he worked with our very own Stephen Osentoski to put together his official commitment video. Look for him to become a main recruiter alongside Corey Malone-Hatcher to wrap up this class.
- Height: 6’0”
- Weight: 185lbs
- Hometown (School): Detroit, MI (Cass Tech)
- Notable Offers: Ohio State, Alabama, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Stanford, Michigan State, Auburn
- Rankings: Scout (4*, #269 overall) – Rivals (3*, #31 S) – 247Sports (4*, #148 overall) – ESPN (4*, #265 overall)
- Composite Ranking: 4 star, #260 overall, #21 S, #4 in Michigan
As for the Rest of the Class: Kelly-Powell is the 19th overall member of this class, the 3rd defensive back commitment and 2nd safety addition. With him now officially on the board, Michigan will look to wrap up the 2016 calendar year with a couple of his best friends on the trail and fellow Detroiters, his cousin CB Ambry Thomas and teammate WR Donovan Peoples-Jones.
Photo Credit: Maize and Blue News/YouTube.com
Latest posts by Garrett Fishaw (see all)
- Bringing Bunyan Back: 2018 Michigan State vs. Michigan Highlights - Oct 21, 2018
- Inside the Fish Bowl Might Just Pull Off the Impossible - Oct 15, 2018
- Beat Down in the Big House: 2018 Michigan vs. Wisconsin Highlights - Oct 14, 2018